History in Structure

Remains of Church of St Mary Approximately 215 Metres to North West of the Flags

A Grade II Listed Building in Myddle, Broughton and Harmer Hill, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8109 / 52°48'39"N

Longitude: -2.7415 / 2°44'29"W

OS Eastings: 350116

OS Northings: 323959

OS Grid: SJ501239

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.VSPS

Mapcode Global: WH8B7.VLQZ

Plus Code: 9C4VR765+8C

Entry Name: Remains of Church of St Mary Approximately 215 Metres to North West of the Flags

Listing Date: 28 October 1960

Last Amended: 29 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055415

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259998

ID on this website: 101055415

Location: Yorton, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Myddle, Broughton and Harmer Hill

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: BroughtonSt Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Tagged with: Church ruin

Find accommodation in


SJ 50112 23960 Yorton (north side)

16/5 Remains of Church
- of Saint Mary approx.
215 metres to north-
28.10.60 west of The Flags
(formerly listed
as Ruins of old
Church of Saint
Mary, including
remains of cross)


Parish church, remains of. Late C12, partly demolished and ruined
after 1858. Roughly dressed yellow/grey and red sandstone. Remains
of chancel, approximately 10 x 7 metres and standing up to approximately
one metre high. Cranage and Pevsner describe a number of windows,
doors and other architectural features, but none were evident in the
ivy-clad ruins at the time of survey (December 1985). The old church
was replaced by a new building on Church Road to the south (q.v.) in
1858. It formerly consisted of a nave, chancel, porch and bellcote
and is said to have had a C12 chancel arch. It was formerly a chapelry
of the church of St. Chad, Shrewsbury. In the new church of St. Mary
(q.v.) there is a watercolour of the old church and churchyard before
1858, and there is also an oil painting of the ruins. The remains
of a churchyard cross (q.v.) and a number of chest tombs stand to the
south of the ruins. Photographs in the Shropshire Libraries Collection
show the north and east chancel walls still standing high with 2 small
east windows, chamfered north doorway, chamfered trefoiled piscina
and south-east buttress. The Flags is not included on this list.
D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural account of the churches of Shropshire,
Shrewsbury churches, pp. 852-3; B.O.E., p.87; Kelly and Co., Post Office
Directory of Shropshire (1856), p.25; Shropshire Libraries, photographs

Listing NGR: SJ5011623959

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.