This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8036 / 52°48'13"N
Longitude: -2.7291 / 2°43'44"W
OS Eastings: 350945
OS Northings: 323146
OS Grid: SJ509231
Mapcode National: GBR 7J.WHKS
Mapcode Global: WH8B8.1SQJ
Entry Name: Sansaw
Listing Date: 29 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055417
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260002
Location: Clive, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Clive
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Clive All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 5023-5123 CLIVE C.P. -
Country house. Dated 1773 (rainwater heads) with alterations and additions
dated 1888 (rainwater heads) for Mr James Jenkinson Bibby; late C20 alterations.
Red brick with yellow/grey Grinshill sandstone dressings; hipped slate
roof. 5 x 6 bays with quadrant wings to a pair of pavilions forming
an entrance courtyard to the north. 3 storeys with one-storey pavilions.
South (garden) front: plinth, stone dentil cornice, balustraded parapet
altered or rebuilt in 1888, that part above central break with urns
and segmental-raised centre above with shield lettered: "B". Three
cruciform-shaped ridge stacks with stone cornices and caps, on returns
and at rear. 2:1:2 bays; glazing bar sashes with gauged brick heads
and stone cills; central first- and second-floor windows with bracketed
cills and lugged moulded architraves, central first-floor window also
with frieze and moulded cornice. Projecting late C19 ashlar ground
floor of 3:3:3 bays, consisting of 2 square bays with Doric pilasters
flanking central porch with cable-fluted square-section Ionic columns,
continuous entablature with triglyph frieze, moulded cornice, and balustraded
parapet with dies. Central pair of half-glazed doors with plain fanlight
and late C18 ashlar Doric doorcase with three-quarter columns, triglyph
dosserets, dentil cornice, open triangular pediment, and side-lights
with lugged architraves and continuous dentil cornice. Right-hand
return front with C19 square bay to left and tall staircase window in
second bay from right. Pavilions: left-hand C18 with late C19 and late
C20 alterations and right-hand wholly late C19. Each with plinth, moulded
cornice with blocking course, triangular-pedimented gable ends, brick
ridge stack, and Venetian window to front with frieze and moulded cornice.
Mostly C20 five-bay left-hand quadrant link and C19 right-hand quadrant-
link with keyed oeil-de-boeuf. North (entrance) front: 3 bays; projecting
ground floor with large 3-bay Tuscan porch and Ionic doorcase behind.
Wings with tripartite windows to front, that to right with carved stone
panel above. Interior: mainly 1888, in a C18 revival style. Pair of
ground-floor front rooms with egg and dart plaster cornices and ceiling
with thin strapwork ornament; pair of probably late C18 marble fireplaces.
Staircase around rectangular well with open string, cut brackets, turned
balusters, and moulded ramped handrail with curtail; screen with Tuscan
columns in antis. Mr J. J. Bibby, the shipping owner, also paid for
the restoration and enlargment of the parish church of All Saints (q.v.).
The late C19 alterations to the house included extending the main block
to the north, doubling it in size, altering the western pavilion and
rebuilding or adding the eastern pavilion. In the late C20 the house
has been further altered by the demolition of some of the late C19 additions
including a full-height bay and the top 2 storeys of a service block to
the west (see new brickwork), and incorporating a garage in the western
pavilion and remodelling the link between it and the main block. The
house stands within a park which includes a stable block (q.v.) to the
north, an ice house (q.v.) and an ornamental lake.
Listing NGR: SJ5094523146
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings