This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9075 / 52°54'27"N
Longitude: -2.8894 / 2°53'21"W
OS Eastings: 340280
OS Northings: 334827
OS Grid: SJ402348
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.NSRR
Mapcode Global: WH89S.L59V
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055505
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259813
Location: Ellesmere Urban, Shropshire, SY12
Civil Parish: Ellesmere Urban
Built-Up Area: Ellesmere
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
Church of St Mary
SJ 4034 8/6 19.3.51
Of Norman origin but largely rebuilt and restored in Perpendicular Gothic style
by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1849. The Parish Church. Stone with slate roof.
Nave with aisles, chancel and transepts. Perpendicular west tower with Norman
work in base. Early C14 South chancel chapel with fine Perpendicular timber
roof. Late Perpendicular North chapel. Monument of circa 1300 with effigy
of a knight and tomb chest with effigies of Francis Kynaston (1581) and wife.
Listing NGR: SJ4028034826
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings