This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9268 / 52°55'36"N
Longitude: -2.984 / 2°59'2"W
OS Eastings: 333944
OS Northings: 337050
OS Grid: SJ339370
Mapcode National: GBR 76.MMN5
Mapcode Global: WH89K.4P9M
Entry Name: Pentre Morgan
Listing Date: 25 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055921
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260786
Location: Ellesmere Rural, Shropshire, SY11
Civil Parish: Ellesmere Rural
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Dudleston St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. B.5068 (north side)
SJ 33 NW
3/86 Pentre Morgan
Farmhouse. Dated 1668 (on staircase) for Morgan and Deborah Wynn on site
of earlier building; later additions and alterations. Red brick (random
bond) with rusticated stone angle quoins and plain floor band; chamfered
plinth with stone coping. Slate roof has coped verges on carved stone
kneelers with ball finial to right gable end. 2 storeys and gable-lit
attic with stepped cornice to raised eaves. 2:1:2 bays, centre recessed;
42-paned cast-iron windows with central section only opening (centre hung);
centre window and outer windows on both floors formerly blind but now with
30-paned horned glazing bar sashes inserted; all windows with gauged
heads and flush keystones. Central entrance; wide early C20 half-glazed
door with bracketed flat stone hood, moulded to top. Twin external end stacks to
left and right on either side of moulded bullseye window lighting top attic,
all with recessed rectangular panels to tops and C19 dentilled capping.
Right rear stack is stepped to bottom and has single-storey C19 addition
attached. Two-light chamfered stone mullion windows lighting cellar to
left gable end. Interior. Main feature of interest is dog-leg staircase
rising from ground floor to top attic with superscription ".W./M.D/1668"
to newel on first half-landing. Elaborately carved splat balusters to
closed string with pendants and carved finials to newels, which have variety
of lozenge shapes, oval-shaped discs, carved hearts and other decoration.
Panelled wall cupboard with H-hinges below stairs to first flight. Timber
framed cross walls (square and rectangular panels) and chamfered ceiling
beams with variety of chamfer stops throughout to ground and first floors.
Rear right stack on ground floor has inglenook fireplace with richly moulded
wooden lintel; wide panelled doors and wide oak floor boards throughout
(formerly stone-flagged to ground floor). An unusual feature is the top
attic or 'ball room', a room running full length of house with no division
and lit by bullseye windows to each end. Has tops of 4 truncated curved
principals visible. These are more clearly visible in attic and are
probably contemporary with the building of the house, although the truncated
tops are probably the result of the raising of the eaves in early C19.
Several reused timbers elsewhere in house. Brick-walled cellars. There
are said formerly to have been dormers to front and the house may originally
have been gable fronted. Although several of the balusters have been
replaced, especially to the upper flights, the staircase is a fine dated
example of a type usually found somewhat earlier. Alcock (1981), p. 144.
Listing NGR: SJ3394437050
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings