History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

British Waterways Board Canal Maintenance Depot, Shropshire Union Canal (South-East Side) (Llangollen Branch) Timber Store (Pine Loft) British Waterways Board Canal Maintenance Depot

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ellesmere Rural, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9017 / 52°54'6"N

Longitude: -2.8925 / 2°53'32"W

OS Eastings: 340066

OS Northings: 334180

OS Grid: SJ400341

Mapcode National: GBR 79.PCWN

Mapcode Global: WH89S.JBVB

Entry Name: British Waterways Board Canal Maintenance Depot, Shropshire Union Canal (South-East Side) (Llangollen Branch) Timber Store (Pine Loft) British Waterways Board Canal Maintenance Depot

Listing Date: 25 April 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055924

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260794

Location: Ellesmere Rural, Shropshire, SY12

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Ellesmere Rural

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Ellesmere

Listing Text

1585/18/94

ELLESMERE RURAL

BIRCH TIMBER STORE (PINE LOFT) BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENANCE DEPOT SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BIRCH BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENANCE DEPOT, SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL (SOUTH EAST SIDE) (LLANGOLLEN BRANCH)

17-SEP-02

GV
II*
Timber store. Circa 1806 adjoining William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal. Sandstone ashlar, with front of weatherboarded timber frame and brick bay to right; hipped asbestos sheet roof.

Two levels with wooden dentilled eaves cornice. Three windows on first floor, C19 three-light casements to left and right with C20 three-light casement to centre. Open to ground floor in four bays with wooden posts supporting upper level. Later C19 single storey sawshop range projecting from and closing right bay, with sliding doors to front and glazed sides. Early C20 lean-to to left, with three half-glazed sliding doors. Brick bay to right formerly housed steam engine.

Interior: king-post roof; belt-drive gearing in loft. Tracks leading from building formerly took coal trucks to steam-powered engine in open ground-floor area of building. This had been adapted from a locomotive engine, the cylinder and piston being mounted vertically, and generated power for working the machinery in the depot.

This building survives as an important functional part of the best-preserved canal workshop site in Britain. It was very probably built to the designs of Telford and Jessop, canal engineers being traditionally responsible for a wide range of structures from the trim (lettering and mileposts) to locks and keepers' houses. All canal companies had maintenance yards for work on boats, locks, paddle gearing and other aspects of the working fabric of inland waterways.

(Edward Wilson, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal (1975), p.53)
SJ4006634181

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.