This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9311 / 52°55'51"N
Longitude: -2.5917 / 2°35'30"W
OS Eastings: 360320
OS Northings: 337238
OS Grid: SJ603372
Mapcode National: GBR 7Q.M6ZP
Mapcode Global: WH9BW.5L3B
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 20 August 1971
Last Amended: 31 May 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056028
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260555
Location: Ightfield, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Ightfield
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Calverhall (or Corra) Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
IGHTFIELD C.P. CALVERHALL
SJ 63 NW
6/4 Church of the Holy
Parish church. Dated 1872, by William Eden Nesfield for John Pemberton
Heywood; nave and tower dated 1878, also by Nesfield for Anna Maria
Pemberton Heywood in memory of her husband. Tooled snecked yellow/grey
sandstone ashlar with untooled dressings. Plain tile roofs. 4-bay
nave with north aisle, north transept and short south transept, chancel
with north chapel and vestry to south,and north-west tower with porch
beneath. In a Decorated/Perpendicular Gothic style. Tower: 3 stages.
Chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses to halfway up belfry with chamfered
offsets (that at south-east corner set at right angles to tower), chamfered
string course to belfry, moulded parapet string with carved gargoyles
at corners and other motifs, and battlemented parapet with moulded coping.
Tall octagonal stair turret in south-east corner with 3 chamfered rectang-
ular windows and string course to battlemented parapet. Pairs of belfry
openings, each of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, louvres
above and pairs of pierced quatrefoils below, moulded reveals and contin-
uous hoodmoulds. West front with only one belfry opening and square-
headed windows to first and second stages,each of 2 ogee cinquefoil-
headed lights with hollow-chamfered reveals. Boarded north door with
decorative wrought-iron strap hinges and other furniture, heavily moulded
arch, returned hoodmould, and spandrels with carved reticulated rose
motifs and moulded string above. Right-hand spandrel with carved coat
of arms with motto: "ALTE VOLO" and left-hand spandrel with superscribed
inscription: "TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN PIOUS MEMORY / OF JOHN PEMBER-
TON / HEYWOOD OF CLOVERLY / THIS NAVE AND TOWER / WERE ERECTED BY HIS
/ WIDOW ANNA MARIA / A.D. 1878". Pair of flanking cast-iron bootscrapers.
Interior of porch with stone vault consisting of chamfered ribs springing
from corner shafts with moulded bases, carved bosses and central boarded
oculus. Recess to east consisting of double-chamfered arch dying into
single-chamfered reveals and bench,and window to west with chamfered
rear arch and bench. Boarded north door to nave with decorative wrought-
iron strap hinges and other furniture, and heavily moulded arch. Boarded
door to stair turret in south-west corner, with strap hinges and moulded
arch. Clocks below belfry openings. Nave: chamfered plinth to south,
deep battered plinth to west, diagonal buttress to south-west with chamf-
fered offsets, chamfered cill string to west and clerestory, moulded
parapet string with carved motifs, and battlemented parapet with moulded
coping. Gable ends with plain parapets and finials at apices. Integral
stone stack to south with moulded cap. North side: pair of clerestory
windows to right, each of 3 stepped ogee trefoil-headed lights with
panelled tracery and hollow-chamfered reveals. South side: window
to left of 2 ogee trefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil in tracery, chamfered
reveals and hoodmould. Clerestory window to right of 3 stepped ogee
trefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery and hollow-chamfered reveals.
West end: large window of 7 cinquefoil lights (that to centre
higher with ogee head),with panelled tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmould
with carved stops., a lion to left and a dragon or other beast to right
(cf. south window, Church of Saint John the Baptist,Ightfield C.P.)
Carved winged angel beneath finial at apex of gable and carved gargoyle
to right-hand corner. North aisle: chamfered plinth, moulded cill
string, moulded parapet string with carved motifs and stops, and battle-
mented parapet with moulded coping. Pair of segmental-arched windows,
each of 2 ogee trefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery and hollow-
chamfered reveals. North transept and north chapel: chamfered plinth,
buttresses with chamfered offsets, chamfered cill string, and 2 parapeted
gables with copings and finials. Central valley gutter and cast-iron
rainwater head with 'pie' or disc ornament, diverting water to left of
central buttress. Transept to right has window of 3 stepped trefoil-
headed lights and hoodmould with carved cornucopiasas stops. Boarded
door to right with wrought-iron strap hinges, moulded reveals and lintel
dated: "A.M.H. 1872". Chapel to left has window of 2 trefoil-headed
lights with trefoiled Y-tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould.
Window in left-hand return front with 2 trefoil-headed lights, geometrical
tracery with trefoiled circle, chamfered reveals and hoodmould. North
transept: short chamfered cill string and parapeted gable end. Window
with trefoil-headed lights, geometrical tracery with trefoiled circle
and hoodmould. Chancel: plinth, continuous chamfered cill string,
buttresses to east with chamfered offsets and parapeted gable end with
cross at apex. East window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with geom-
etrical tracery incorporating trefoils and central quatrefoil, moulded
reveals and hoodmould with carved stops. North window with 3 trefoil-
headed lights, intersecting tracery with trefoils, chamfered reveals
and hoodmould. South window with 2 cinquefoil-headed lights, geometrical
tracery with trefoiled circle, chamfered reveals, and hoodmould. Vestry:
plinth, chamfered string course, parapeted gable with coping and finial,
and integral corner stack to south-west consisting of circular shaft
with chamfered base and moulded cap. 2 windows of 3 trefoil-headed
lights,with chamfered mullions and reveals. East side has small window
to right with trefoil-headed light in chamfered recess, and boarded
door to left with wrought-iron strap hinges, moulded arch and hoodmould
with carved stops. Cast battlemented rainwater head with 'pie' or
disc ornament. Interior: complete fixtures and fittings of c.1872-
8. Nave with moulded cill string to clerestory. 4-bay nave roof;
moulded stone string course at top of wall with billet-ornamented wooden
wall plate above; trusses with billet-ornamented tie-beams, and arched
braces springing from wooden shafts with moulded capitals and bases
and resting on carved stone corbels; king posts with carved winged angels
at feet and flanking struts, pierced trefoil-arched spandrels,
moulded ridge-piece with longitudinal bracing,and single moulded purlins.
Clerestory windows with moulded rear arches and chamfered reveals.
West window with double hollow-chamfered rear arch dying into single-
chamfered reveals. South window opposite north door with double hollow-
chamfered rear arch, and moulded segmental-arched recess with chamfered
reveals and hoodmould with carved stops. North door with hollow-cham-
fered rear arch. 2-bay north aisle arcade consisting of octagonal
piers with moulded bases and capitals, moulded arches and hoodmoulds
with carved foliage stops; hollow-chamfered left-and right-hand reveals.
Lean-to aisle roof with moulded stone wall plate, moulded rafters with
curved braces springing from carved stone corbels, and moulded purlins.
Aisle windows with moulded segmental rear arches. Double chamfered
arches to transepts, the outer continuous and the inner springing from
short half-colonnettes with moulded capitals and carved foliage corbels;
hoodmoulds with carved foliage stops. Double-chamfered arches between
north transept and chapel and aisle, with continuous outer chamfer and
inner chamfer dying into reveals. North transept and chapel with ceilied roofs
and moulded and billet-ornamented wall plates. North window of transept
with chamfered cinquefoiled rear arch and north door with chamfered
rear arch. Moulded chancel arch springing from short colonnettes with
moulded capitals and reeded tapered stone corbels, continuous outer
moulding becoming chamfer halfway down reveals, and hoodmould with carved
foliage stops. Arch between chancel and north chapel, with chamfered
cinquefoil cusping, inner moulding dying into reveals, stilted outer
ovolo moulding and hoodmould with carved stops. Boarded vestry door
with wrought-iron strap hinges, moulded arch dying into slightly less
heavily moulded reveals and hoodmould with carved stops. Sedilia beneath
south window with chamfered reveals, central moulded stone arm rest
and 5 carved discs or 'pies' to back. Double piscina to north consisting
of 2 moulded trefoil arches with carved foils, 2 carved discs or 'pies'
on wall behind and 2 sexfoil bowls. Chancel windows with chamfered
rear arches. Trussed-rafter chancel roof with string course at wall
plate level. Vestry has 2-bay tie-beam roof with arched braces springing
from stone corbels. Vestry door with chamfered rear arch. Fittings:
mainly c.1872-78. Plain wooden altar table with reredos formed by
hangings on 3 sides supported by octagonal posts with moulded capitals
and bases and longitudinal members with brattishing. Dado panelling
to east end with ogee trefoil-traceried panels and carved vine-trail
frieze. Altar rails; wooden rail with wrought-iron supports. Choir
stalls with billet and other carved ornament and wrought-iron stall
front. 5-bay wooden screen to north chapel consisting of pierced trefoil
arches with carved spandrels, and carved frieze with billet-ornamented
top rail. Organ to south has pipes painted with discs or 'pies' etc;
open 5-bay wooden screen below consisting of pierced trefoil arches
with carved spandrels, coving above with gilded embossed leatherwork
and frieze with billet ornamented top. Rear of organ in vestry with
pierced quatrefoil panels, moulded cornice, and door with ornamental
butterfly hinges, pierced quatrefoils, carved frieze moulded cornice
and billet-ornamented top rail. Low chancel screen consisting of
stone wall with moulded coping and wrought-iron work above, returning
to central steps. Oak dado panelling to nave. C19 pews. Circular
stone pulpit consisting of octagonal stem with moulded base, lower carved
panels with 'pies', central band of carved apples, trefoil-headed marble
panels above and billet-ornamented top rail; 5 stone steps up. Wooden
lectern with carved and panelled hexagonal base, moulded circular stem,
and triangular-section top with carved foliage, pierced trefoils, billet
ornament etc., one end inscribed: "LAUS DEO" and the other: "IN EXCELSIS";
pair of attached brass candlesticks. War memorial on south wall of
nave with canopied niches etc. Octagonal stone font on dots at west
end consisting of circular stem with octagonal base, bowl with carved
panels including inscriptions and shield dated 1877, and inscriptions
to top: "SUFFER LITTLE CHILDREN TO COME UNTO ME AND FORBID THEM NOT
FOR OF SUCH IS THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN"; plain wooden cover. Gothic
table in north chapel. Encaustic tiles to choir. Wooden floors elsewhere
with tiled aisles. Stained glass in chancel windows, chapel windows,
transept windows and west window. Stained glass in south window of
chancel by William Morris and Bmne-30nes, c.1875. A chapel is first recorded
at Calverhall in 1730 (churchwardens' accounts). It was first rebuilt
in 1843 for John Whitehall Dod. Nesfield designed the present Cloverley
Hall (q.v.), c.1864-70, for John Pemberton Heywood, a Livepool banker
who bought the estate from the Dod family c.1864. The church is attached
to a range of almshouses (q.v.) to the south and a lychgate (q.v.) to
the north, and forms part of a striking group in the village of Calverhall.
The church is aligned north-east/south-west but this description refers
to liturgical north, south etc. B.o.E., p. 93; D.H.S. Cranage, An
Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, 668; Mark
Girouard, The Victorian Country House (London, 1979), pp. 72 and 402.
Listing NGR: SJ6032237241
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
A parish church of 1872 and 1878, principally designed by William Eden Nesfield, including some earlier material.
A parish church of 1872 and 1878, principally designed by William Eden Nesfield for John Pemberton Heywood and Anna Maria Pemberton Heywood.
MATERIALS: Grinshill sandstone, rock faced, with smooth ashlar dressings and tooled ashlar to the tower.
PLAN: the building is angled towards the street and the ritual west end is actually south-west. Ritual compass points are used throughout this description. Nave with northern aisle, north-east side chapel and a north-western tower which includes a porch at its base, transepts and chancel. The building adjoins the earlier almshouses and former schoolhouse, Nos. 1-6 Church Terrace (Grade II) at the western end of its southern flank. The work of 1872 and 1878 is, respectively, in a Decorated and Perpendicular Gothic style.
THE CHANCEL, VESTRY & TRANSEPTS: were built in 1872. The chancel has a three-light, eastern window with cusped tracery and a quatrefoil to the apex, flanked by buttresses with offsets. Lateral chancel windows are of two lights to the south, with an encircled trefoil to the apex, and three lights on the northern face with reticulated tracery. The projecting gabled vestry on the south side has two, three-light windows with square heads, a priest's door to the east side and a stone chimney at the south-western corner. The south transept is a shallow projection with a two-light window with Decorated tracery. The northern transept is deeper and is combined with a north-eastern side chapel with paired gables and a two-light and three-light window. A door in the lower walling of the transept has a lintel which is engraved 'A.M.H. 1872.'.
THE NAVE: of 1878 has rectilinear tracery to its windows and a crenellated parapet. String courses below the parapets of the nave and aisle both have large-scale bosses and rainwater spouts, with gargoyle heads at the upper level. The chimneystack of the northernmost almshouse is incorporated as part of the nave parapet on the southern side. The western end has a wide window of seven lights with a prominent hood mould with large end stops in the form of dragons. At the gable apex is an angel corbel supporting a sceptre finial and there is a large gargoyle spout to the south-west corner above a substantial diagonal buttress.
THE TOWER: at the western end of the northern flank and built in 1878, is of three stages, marked by small, traceried windows of two lights on the western face. The other faces are blank to their lower body, save for the north face, which has a portal with pointed arch which is flanked by the two spandrels of the arch by a carved trellis supporting oak leaves and acorns at left and roses at right in high relief. To the left is an inscription which reads: '+TO.THE.GLORY.OF.GOD / AND.IN.PIOUS.MEMORY / OF.JOHN.PEMBERTON / HEYWOOD.OF.CLOVERLEY / THIS.NAVE.AND.TOWER / WERE.ERECTED.BY.HIS / WIDOW.ANNA.MARIA / A.D.1878.' At right is a coat of arms and the motto 'ALTE.VOLO'. The tower has diagonal buttresses with offsets to its northern corners, a polygonal turret to the south-western corner and an angle buttress which connects to the parapet of the nave at its south-eastern corner. The top stage of the tower has pairs of two-light, louvered openings to three sides and a single, similar light to the west. The string course below the battlemented parapet has prominent, diagonal gargoyle spouts at the corners. Rainwater goods across the church are largely original with moulded drain hoppers decorated with circular 'pies' and other motifs.
INTERIOR: is of some complexity and encompasses a number of notable features in its relatively small ambit. Windows and arches have internal hood moulds with richly-carved and boldly-scaled end stops which may be the work of James Forsyth, who had worked for the same architect and patron at Cloverley a couple of years before. The nave is panelled to its lower walling. The shallow-pitched nave roof is supported by wall posts which rise from corbels at the height of the moulded clerestory window sill. Arched brackets connect to the cranked tie beams which have brattished tops and support panels of wooden tracery. Angel bosses at the centre of each tie have outstretched wings. The lean-to timber roof of the northern side aisle is simpler and also springs from wall posts. The roof of the north transept is panelled and the chancel has a scissor beam construction with ashlar posts.
The nave is of three bays with two clerestory windows on the north side and one to the south. The arcade of two bays connecting with the north aisle has simple cavetto and roll mouldings which do not conflict with the chamfered mouldings of the earlier chancel and transept arches.
The tower has a porch at ground level, and a stone vault with hollow-chamfered ribs and carved bosses around a central, boarded oculus.
Flooring is of plain and patterned encaustic tiles in the chancel and wood block flooring to the nave.
FURNITURE: much of the fittings were designed by Nesfield, including the ironwork; choir stalls; altar rail; side screen; an elaborate organ case with painted pipes and panels of 'Spanish' leather; the pulpit with inlaid panels of marble and carving and cupboards in the vestry. Carved and painted 'pies', a characteristic motif of Nesfield's deriving ultimately from Japanese ornament, are used to decorate interior surfaces including window sills, the sedilia and piscina backs and around the pulpit and the organ pipes. The walling behind the altar was originally decorated with polychromatic tiles showing flowers and foliage in relief. This was replaced in 1944 by oak panels with tracery tops.
Five monuments, four of which are to members of the Dod family, were repositioned from the old church. The war memorial is a wooden board with panels of blind tracery divided by miniature statues of servicemen, with St George at the centre. A tester projects from the top.
GLASS: the church contains a notable collection of late-C19 windows, made in commemoration of members of the Heywood family. The western nave window, showing the Ascension, is by Hardman's and was installed in 1879. The chancel east window of 1879, showing Christ in Majesty is by Clayton & Bell. Both of the windows in the Lady Chapel are by Hardman and date from 1879 and 1880. The Northern chancel window of 1888 is by Powell, to a design of Henry Holiday. Powell also made the south transept window of 1898, designed by Harrington Mann. The south chancel window is by Burne Jones and Morris c.1875.
A chapel of ease was built at Calverhall, circa 1726, as part of a complex of alms houses with a school room and master's house attached. The three brick ranges formed an open square in a near-symmetrical arrangement, with the chapel placed at the northern end and projecting as a gabled wing, matched by the school at the southern end. The alms houses, with their central gable, and the former school survive (Nos. 1-6 Church Terrace) and are statutorily listed (Grade II).
The chapel was rebuilt, either wholly or in part in 1843 under the patronage of John Whitehall Dod of Cloverley Hall, and was described circa 1851 (see SOURCES, Bagshaw) as being of freestone, apparently with an elaborate altarpiece and stained glass windows. This new chapel appears from the evidence of a plan, attached to a post-facto faculty dated 1874, to have extended to the full length of the present building. In 1872 a new chancel was built with north and south transepts and a southern vestry. This was to the designs of William Eden Nesfield and the patron was Anna Maria Heywood, the wife of John Pemberton Heywood, a Liverpool banker who had bought the Cloverley Estate from the Dod family in 1864. It seems likely from the 1874 plan that this was a thorough reworking in a Decorated Gothic style of the existing eastern end of the chapel and may date in part from 1843. A further campaign of building followed in 1878, again designed by Nesfield, but this time in a Perpendicular style. The Ordnance Survey map published in 1880 appears to show a similar footprint, with the exception of the tower, and it may be that earlier foundations and parts of the structure were re-used. This rebuilding of the nave with a northern aisle and the construction of the north-western tower was also done under the patronage of Anna Maria Heywood, following the death of her husband. Five wall monuments from the earlier church were transferred to the new building. The pews in the nave appear to pre-date 1878. A wooden war memorial on the southern wall of the nave was fitted c.1920, together with the dado panelling on that wall. Similar dado panelling on the north and west walls followed in 1934. The chancel was re-ordered in 1944 when the original tiling of the eastern wall and carved reredos, of Nesfield's design, were replaced by wooden panelling. The lead covering of the nave roof was replaced by clay tiles in 1951 and a new steel bell frame was installed in 2000. The clock was installed in 1976 and employed the mechanism which was formerly in the stables at Shavington, Moreton Say, made by Joyce of Whitchurch and dated 1886.
The Church of Holy Trinity, Calverhall, Shropshire is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural quality: the design of two dates and in two complementary styles by the noted Victorian architect William Eden Nesfield forms a powerful design of high quality and shows much attention to detail in its design and execution;
* Intact survival: the building has undergone few additions and alterations and many of the original details of its design are in situ;
* Quality of the original fittings: the careful design of the fittings by the architect, such as organ case, screens, pulpit and font are notable as is the stained glass, designed and made by some of the foremost companies of the period.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings