History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade I Listed Building in Hinton St George, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9107 / 50°54'38"N

Longitude: -2.8286 / 2°49'42"W

OS Eastings: 341840

OS Northings: 112685

OS Grid: ST418126

Mapcode National: GBR MD.QZ26

Mapcode Global: FRA 46YP.RTZ

Plus Code: 9C2VW56C+7H

Entry Name: Church of St George

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056124

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262298

Location: Hinton St. George, South Somerset, Somerset, TA17

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Hinton St. George

Built-Up Area: Hinton St George

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Hinton St George with Dinnington

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Hinton Saint George



7/48 Church of St George

Anglican Parish Church, including Poulett mausoleum. Some C13 work by masons of Wells Cathedral, C15 and early C16,
vestry and north chapel of 1814 said to be by James Wyatt, as James Wyatt died in 1813 this work probably by Jeffry
Wyatt, later Sir Jeffry Wyattville). Some late C19 and early C20 work. Ham stone ashlar and near-ashlar; Cornish slate
roof to chancel and north chapel, otherwise copper sheet (to be replaced by stainless steel in 1987), all roofs behind
parapets. Five-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3 and a half bay nave, 4-bay south aisle, north chapel with vestry, with
south porch and west tower. Chancel has plinth, cill offset to east wall, string course and plain parapets, offset
corner buttresses; 5-light sub-arcuated east window in hollowed pointed-arched recess, a C19 replacement of 3-light; a
2-light to match in south wall. South aisle similar, with bay buttresses in addition: 5-light east window, 4-light
4-centre-arched southeast window, then a 2-light. West of porch the parapet becomes battlemented, with corner gargoyles
to string, 3-light window in south wall, C15 tracery in hollowed recess, and also in west wall. South porch has high
moulded plinth, battlemented parapets, offset corner buttresses; C15 outer arch with canopied statue niche over; stone
rib and traceried panel vaulted roof, bench seats, moulded inner doorway with a possibly C15 door. Nave visible for one
north bay, with 3-light C19 window in recess. North chapel and vestry have chamfered plinth, angled corner and bay
buttresses, plain parapet, 3 bays: the centre gabled; 3-light flat-arched north-east window, 4-light C15 style window
under gable. Doorway to west, up 5 steps, with Poulett arms and plaque over; on west side entrance to Poulett vault,
surrounded by wrought-iron railings; to east the vestry entrance. Tower of 1485-95, 4 stages: full-height offset corner
buttresses, strings, battlemented parapets with quatrefoil panels below merlons corner and intermediate pinnacles,
weathervane of 1756 by Thomas Bagley of Bridgwater: taller hexagonal south-east corner stair turret. Almost
triangular-arched west door, with carved spandrils and square label over. West window 4-light pointed segmental-arched.
Stage 2 has small light on north and statue niche to south; spanning two upper stages all faces are 2-light mullioned,
transomed and traceried window under pointed arched labels, with pierced stone baffles; clockface under east window.
Inside, chancel mostly C19/C20, but wide C16 chancel arch and panelled arches to south aisle and vestry. Nave and aisle
ceilings mostly C19 and C20, retaining earlier fragments; C15 shaft and hollow arcade, panelled tower arch. Fittings
almost all C19/C20. C13 font had bowl decorated in C15. Organ gallery incorporates Coade stone hatchment of George III
dated 1812. Detailed model of church in pre-restoration state dated 1844, in C19 case. North Chapel is the Poulett
family pew and has many fine monuments. The earliest, outside the pew, an effigy of a C15 knight, and a brass near
pulpit, late C15, to John and Alicia Chudderlee. The Poulett monuments include reused chest tombs to Sir Amyas, died
1537, and Sir Hugh, died 1572, with transitional Perpendicular/Early Renaissance arched recess with figures over;
effigy in alabaster of Sir Amyas II died 1588, with French inscription, removed from St Martin-in-the-Fields; canopied
tomb with figures to Sir Anthony, died 1600, and his wife, died 1601. The finest, in full Baroque plasterwork,
commemorates John, Baron Poulett, died 1649, but may be early l18; others include memorial to John, First Earl Poulett,
died 1745, by Rysbrack; and Vere Earl Poulett, died 1819, by Sir R Westmacott. C17 brass in south aisle. (Pevsner N,
Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; VCH Somerset Vol IV, l978, pp49-50; Gilson R, Hinton St George, A
Short Guide to the Church and Village, Skylark Press, undated).

Listing NGR: ST4184612683

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.