This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8954 / 50°53'43"N
Longitude: -2.753 / 2°45'10"W
OS Eastings: 347136
OS Northings: 110930
OS Grid: ST471109
Mapcode National: GBR MJ.RSD9
Mapcode Global: FRA 563Q.Z5X
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262262
Location: Haselbury Plucknett, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Haselbury Plucknett
Built-Up Area: Haselbury Plucknett
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Haselbury Plucknett
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST4710 HASELBURY PLUCKNETT CP CHURCH LANE (North side)
10/14 Church of St Michael and All
Anglican parish church. C14, C15, late C19 and C20. Ham stone ashlar; chancel has Welsh slate roof with ornamental
stone ridge, stepped coped east gable with cross finial, vestry to match; nave has concrete tile roof behind
battlemented parapets between moulded gable copings. Two-cell plan of single-bay chancel, 4-bay nave; former aisled
plan, arcades removed in 1920. South porch, north-east vestry and west tower. Chancel apparently a C19 rebuild; high
plinth; 3-light C14 style traceried east window with mid-transome and pointed-arched label with plain stops, with small
2-light Y-traceried vent above; matching 2-light window in south wall. Vestry has 3-light chamfer-mullioned east window
in chamfered recess, flat arched with label, and plain pointed-arched doorway; and single cusped-light window to west.
Nave has tall plinth, angled corner and bay buttresses with offsets, string course with gargoyles and battlemented
parapets; windows to match east chancel window. South porch possibly C15 in part, with angled corner buttresses, coped
gable with uncarved projecting block, and shaft-and-hollow outer archway, moulded semi-circular inner arch to doorway
having double ogee and hollow moulding. Tower probably C14, 3 stages; angled corner buttresses 2 stages high, tall
plinth, string courses, the upper with gargoyles, battlemented parapets; octagonal plan parapet to south-east corner,
crowned with weathervane, to same height as main tower. West door has 4-centred arch with carved spandrils under square
label. West window above of 3-light simple Perpendicular tracery, set in hollow pointed-arched recess; remainder of
stage 1 and stage 2 all round plain; to stage 3 are 2-light windows with C14 tracery in hollowed recesses with
plain-stop labels, filled with decoratively-pierced stone baffles. Interior much altered. C14 chancel arch, but C12
style arches to south and west walls of vestry, the latter possibly original, but the twin shafts now missing from
jambs; remainder of work apparently C19 and C20. Nave has acoustic tile ceiling, mostly C19 fittings. Circular tub font
on cylindrical base, of uncertain date, set under the high C14 tower arch; C20 part glazed screen behind this arch.
Memorials include a tablet on south chancel wall to William Hoskins, died 1760, in black and white marble with open
pediment, cartouche of iris and swags; several other C18 and C19 memorials in nave. 1906 art-nouveau style leading to
south nave windows; those on north side in process of being reglazed in coloured glass (June 1986) to designs by the
parishioners. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4713610930
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings