This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0212 / 51°1'16"N
Longitude: -2.8152 / 2°48'54"W
OS Eastings: 342921
OS Northings: 124961
OS Grid: ST429249
Mapcode National: GBR MF.HW2B
Mapcode Global: FRA 46ZF.52G
Entry Name: The Priest's House
Listing Date: 17 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056574
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263287
Location: Muchelney, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Muchelney
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
8/225 The Priest's house
Priest's Lodging, C14 and later. Local lias stone roughly cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; thatched roof with
stepped coped gable to west, half hipped to east; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 4-bay south elevation. Bay 1 has
3-light chamfered mullioned windows, possibly C19, with flat heads, and square labels; bay 2 has moulded pointed arched
doorway with arched label, old boarded and studded door, with covermoulds to joints; bay 3 has a 4-light full-height
mullioned and transomed solar type window, with 4-centre arched lights below transome and cinquefoil cusped lights
above, with quatrefoils in tracery, late C15 probably, all under square label; bay 4 has a 4-light hollow chamfered
mullioned window with 4-centre arched lights having some early external ferramenta, under square label; above a small
2-light window with trefoil cusped lights and incised spandrils, possibly C14, this last cut into thatch: all windows
leaded, bay 1 with rectangular panes, the remainder with diamond panes. Internally, cross passage layout, with solid
walls to cross-passage; west room has small plain fireplace with chamfered and cambered timber lintol with scroll
stops, and this and ceiling beams suggest C17 reshaping at this end: four-centre arched moulded doorway with wood frame
to east wall of passage; centre room has adapted wave-mould fireplace, and partition against parlour part stone and
part wattle and daub, including a semi-circular headed stone doorway with plain chamfer; 4 sections of a 6-panel
moulded beam and panel ceiling remain, the others removed for staircase; at first floor level another wattle and daub
partition over cross-passage with later door cut in. Roof frame incorporates raised crucks, except at west end. The
original form and subsequent alteration of house much discussed: the house first mentioned 1308, said to be "ruinous'
in 1608; it was used by the vicar or curate until c1840, when the house was used as a cellar and later as a school, and
in late C19 was rented by a farmer. Acquired by the National Trust in 1911. (VCH, vol III, 1974; Panten W A, Medieval
Priest's Houses in south west England, Medieval Archaeology 1957; Wood M, The English Medieval House, 1965; VAG
Reports, Unpublished SRO, 1972 and 1979).
Listing NGR: ST4291824962
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings