History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade I Listed Building in Somerton, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0546 / 51°3'16"N

Longitude: -2.7284 / 2°43'42"W

OS Eastings: 349044

OS Northings: 128617

OS Grid: ST490286

Mapcode National: GBR MK.FSP1

Mapcode Global: FRA 565B.GWL

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056695

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262971

Location: Somerton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Somerton

Built-Up Area: Somerton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


9/168 Church of St Michael and All



Parish Church. Earlier C13, with major reshaping of mid C15, restored 1889. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Ham
stone dressings; mostly lead sheet roofing behind parapets but with Welsh slate roof to chancel between stepped coped
gables. Originaly cruciform plan, now 6 cell with 3 bay chancel, 5 bay nave and north and south aisles, north transept
and tower doubling as south transept, with south porch and north east vestry. Chancel reshaped in C15; plinth, offset
corner and bay buttresses, eaves course; windows have early Perpendicular tracery under pointed arches with foliated
stopped labels, 5 light in east wall and 3 light to north and south walls; between the north windows a gabled vestry,
added 1770, with ball finial to coping, semi circular arched doorway and 'Y' traceried fanlight; pointed arched doorway
under square label with foliated spandrils on south side. Nave has battlemented parapets over later C15 3 light 4
centre arched windows in recesses; Curvilinear traceried 5 light west window over deeply recessed, moulded pointed arch
doorway under flat hood, with foliated spandrels. North aisle has plain parapets, corner buttresses; two flat headed
C15 windows and one with reticulated tracery, and in middle bay deep moulded pointed arched doorway without label; west
window C15 style of 2 lights. north transept has cusped forking tracery of c1300 in north wall, and a 3 light
reticulated window in east; south aisle has plain parapet and corner buttresses, with three 3 light reticulated windows
of varying patterns, with small arched doorway at east end, and the double gabled south porch, rebuilt 1889, with inner
C14 deep moulded doorway with label. Tower of three stages, square base with rudimentary broaches to octagon above;
doubled corner buttresses, plinth, string courses, battlemented parapets with corner gargoyles; full height stair
turret on north-west corner; small door in east face and 3 light C15 window to south face of base, above being a plain
lancet and signs of others now blocked on principal faces of octagon, then C14 2-light windows in deep recesses all
faces, with pierced stone baffles. Interior has many good features; chancel has modern ceiling over late C16 cornice,
reredos incorporating C17 panelling, altar table dated 1626, bishop's and two matching chairs, one dated 1632; chancel
arch probably early C14, wider than chancel: Nave has fine king post and panelled roof of c1510, richly ornamented,
arcades probably mid C14; aisles to match, but only fragment of old roof in north aisle; in south transept two blocked
C13 doorways, and a blocked deep lancet in west wall, a trefoil arched piscina, and a pointed arched recess in south
wall with effigy of a C13 nun. Fittings include fine timberwork pulpit dated 1615, elaborately carved, octagonal on
thin stalk, with considerable traces of colouring; octagonal font, probably C15, with C17 openwork cover, in south
aisle;screen using portions of C15 gallery, also south aisle; many pews reuse bench ends of c1500, with poppyheads
removed; fine C18 brass candelabras. Monuments not remarkable. (VCH, Volume III, 1974; Pevsner, Buildings of England -
South and West Somerset, 1958; Church guide, no date).

Listing NGR: ST4908628547

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.