History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade I Listed Building in Charlton Adam, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0554 / 51°3'19"N

Longitude: -2.6647 / 2°39'52"W

OS Eastings: 353510

OS Northings: 128665

OS Grid: ST535286

Mapcode National: GBR MM.FYHL

Mapcode Global: FRA 569B.9PR

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056762

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262830

Location: The Charltons, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: The Charltons

Built-Up Area: Charlton Adam

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


5/25 Church of St Peter and St Paul



Parish Church. C14 origins, mostly C15, restored by H. Wilson 1892. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone
dressings; stone slate roofs between coped gables. 3 cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3 bay nave and single-bay south
chantry chapel, with west tower and south porch. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttress with moulded offsets,
gabletted cross finial at east end; 3-light C15 cinquefoil cusped east window set in hollowed recesss; 2 small cusped
lancets on north side, buttress between, and on south side early C15 traceried 2-light window in hollowed recess, the
cill having been raised; to left angled projection forming link between chantry chapel and chancel, having small
moulded arched doorway and 2-light C16 window. Chantry chapel has plinth, angled corner buttresses, with 4-light
flat-headed square labelled windows in both east and south walls. Nave mostly rendered; plinth and plain offset-bay
buttresses; in north wall projection with small C14 window for former rood stair, then two 2-light C15 traceried
windows with arched labels and square stops; on south wall a smaller 2-light C15 window set in hollowed recess south
porch has angled corner buttress, and moulded pointed arched doorway with arched label with square stops; inside a
plainer possibly C14 arch, but with ovolo mould to runouts and C18 door; two cinquefoil niches, one over door and one
in east wall, both with statues. Small C20 boiler house set low on north east corner. Tower has 3 stages: tall plinth,
angled offset buttress to near-full height, string courses with gargoyles to top, slightly battlemented parapet and
pyramidal roof; square plan stair turret north east corner, full height, with small slit windows and a small drilled
window at base: moulded pointed arch west door, with 3-light C15 traceried window above set into hollowed recess,
breaking into string course which forms label; on stage 2 stall 2-light window on west face, and similar windows with
wood baffles to each face stage 3; clockface under south window. Inside, the chancel has timber rib and plaster-panel
segmental vault ceiling, small C15 moulded chancel arch, C19 squint in south wall; plain piscina possibly C14, fittings
Cl9 and C20. Nave has timber ribbed barrel vault with moulded principals, formerly with plastered-panels; C16/C17
moulded 3 centre arch into chantry chapel, C15 tower arch; former rood loft stair in north wall. Chantry chapel has
vaulted ribbed roof, formerly plastered. Fittings include simple tulip bowl font on turned base, probably early C14; a
pulpit of early C17, 3-panelled on each face with moulded top, on C19 base; several paintings. Monuments include that
to Thomas Basket, died 1592, a standing wall monument in Ham stone with strap cartouche with inscription between two
Doric columns carrying pedimented hood with finials and shields; over squint two black painted Keinton slabs to Anne
Bonham, died 1638, and silos Strangways, died 1677, the latter having pedimented hood on Doric columns with ball
finials, distinctly rural; several other C18 painted Keinton stone-panels. Reredos a copy of a fresco by Perugino by
late Mrs C Neville, of The Abbey (qv). A few fragments of C15 stained glass in west window (Hamilton and Long, Some
Account of the Parishes of Charlton Adam and Charlton Mackrell, 1961).

Listing NGR: ST5351128664

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.