History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Church of Saint James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chilton Cantelo, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9974 / 50°59'50"N

Longitude: -2.6138 / 2°36'49"W

OS Eastings: 357025

OS Northings: 122179

OS Grid: ST570221

Mapcode National: GBR MP.KKM1

Mapcode Global: FRA 56DG.ZGY

Entry Name: The Church of Saint James

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262619

Location: Chilton Cantelo, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Chilton Cantelo

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Queen Camel

Listing Text


The Church of Saint James


Church. C15 tower and earlier fragments, restored 1864-65 by Sir Arthur
Blomfield. Local stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressings and
bands; plain clay tile roofs with bands of fish scale and other
ornamental tiles, ornamented terra cotta ridges; coped gables with cross
finials to nave and chancel. Cruciform plan with 3-bay chancel, 3-bay
nave and added South porch and West tower. Tower has offset corner
buttresses; plinth, 3-stages defined by string courses with double
string framing Quatrefoil panels to head of second stage; crenellation
and pinnacles to both buttresses and parapet; stair tower in North end
corner surmounted by C18 weathercock and vane. Small West doorway with
moulded jambs and 4-centred head under square label, foliated spandrils;
immediately above 3-former statue niches, then late C15 subarcuated
4-light traceried window with arcaded transome; to stage 2 two small
2-light windows of the same date, one each on North and South sides,
each with pierced stone baffles; to stage 3 a three-light simple ogee
alternate tracery windows including arcaded transome to all 4-sides,
again with pierced stone baffles; gargoyles above to centres and corners
of each face. Five bells, the earliest being C17. The remainder of the
church of unremarkable C19 work, save for the windows of the North
transept, which were apparently kept from the earlier church: some good
fittings survive inside, including three early piscinae, a fine two seat
stone sedelia of possibly C15, an early C12 font with plain bowl and
shaft and simple scalloped base complete with early lead lining, and a
probably C15 stone screen, now set West of the double panel coffered
tower arch. The C19 timber chancel screen is delicate and well executed.
Basically a Norman Church, it was reconstructed in a Gothic style during
the incumbency the Revd. Charles Old Goodford, D.D. (1848-84), who was
also Provost of Eton from 1862-84, as well as being the Squire of the
Manor of Chilton Cantelo from 1863. (Francis Goulding, Ashington,
Chilton Cantelo, Mudford - the Story of Three Somerset Parishes, 1982).

Listing NGR: ST5702522179

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.