History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dillington House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whitelackington, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9359 / 50°56'9"N

Longitude: -2.9013 / 2°54'4"W

OS Eastings: 336765

OS Northings: 115552

OS Grid: ST367155

Mapcode National: GBR M9.PBSY

Mapcode Global: FRA 46TM.MK9

Entry Name: Dillington House

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057040

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264045

Location: Whitelackington, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Whitelackington

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Whitelackington

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


7/122 Dillington House
(formerly listed under Civil
Parish of Ilminster Without)

Large country house, now residential training college. C16 and C17 origins, but reshaped c1838 by Sir James Pennethorne
for J.E.Lee. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roofs with stone verges between coped gables; octagonal ashlar chimney
stacks in groups. Seven-unit roof over 'H'-plan; 2 storeys; 7-bay west elevation, of which the outer bays project.
Plinth, string courses, quatrefoil open parapet to centre bays, with gables to each bay. Hollow- chamfered mullioned
windows with 4-centre arched lights set in hollowed recesses, with labels above and under continuous strings below;
outer bays have angled corner buttresses, 4-light transomed windows below and 4-light plain above, bays 2 and 6 still
set forward slightly, with 2-light windows; bays 3 and 5 have pairs of 4-light windows below and single windows above;
bay 4 has a 4-light window above; all but the outer windows ornamentally leaded; lower bay 4 a tall projecting
single-storey porch with angled corner buttresses, a shield over the doorway and quatrefoil panels below a crenellated
parapet which has quatrefoil panelled merlons; outer doorway 4-centre-arched, the inner cambered-arched; the ceiling
octo-partite vaulted, and mounted on south wall an ornamental late C16/early C17 door, probably that of the previous
building on site. East elevation also 7 bays, but the inner bays not of corresponding widths; outer bays similar,bays 2
and 6 have 4-light windows, bays 3 and 5 very narrow, with single-light windows to first floor only; centre bay has a
4-light window above, set higher than remainder, with shield in gable over, and below a projecting single-storey bay
with 4-centre-arched lights, one to sides and 3 to front, with French doors, heavily moulded copings and pair of corner
turrets. South elevation of 3 bays, with 2-light transomed upper windows, with a pair to the centre bay; below,
occupying rather more than the central bay, an orangery, 2 bays x 5 bays, with small-pane French doors in 4-centre-
arched openings, with elaborate coving moulding featuring vine decoration, then 4 pinnacles, no parapet, and a hipped
glass roof. On the north side, linked but set on lower ground, a 2-storey 2-bay servants' wing, generally to match,
with pinnacle finish to dormers, gable copings and kneelers, and over the single-storey link to the main house a small
plain bellcote: parts of the north wall and the upper window of bay 7 east elevation may be C17 work. Inside, the
entrance hall across most of the front, with rib and panel ceiling, stone flag floor, and stone screens to each end
wall featuring three 4-centre arches; similar doorways to rooms on east side; to centre arch in north wall the
staircase, and in the east wall a heavy-detailed Gothic-style fireplace: all the ground floor roods of interest; the
dining rood, central on east front, has an elaborate panelled ceiling with pendant drops, marble fireplace and timber
Gothic- style doorcases; the south-east and south rooms similar, but with elaborate foliated ceiling covings, simpler
fireplaces and pendant ceiling roses: a C15 screen with arches opposite the kitchen: first floor not seen, but noted is
a C18 carved chimney piece in one bedroom. Origins of building not recorded, but sections of the north crosswing may be
before 1551, by John Bonvile; house extended c1600 by Sir George Speke, and later amended by Lord North; an 1831
drawing illustrates the degree of change made in 1838: by tradition some elements said to come from Barrington Court.
(Leaflet 'A Brief History of Dillington House', Dillington College for Adult Education,undated).

Listing NGR: ST3676515552

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.