History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashford House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ilton, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9665 / 50°57'59"N

Longitude: -2.9174 / 2°55'2"W

OS Eastings: 335671

OS Northings: 118959

OS Grid: ST356189

Mapcode National: GBR M9.MDNZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 46SK.77D

Entry Name: Ashford House

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057048

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263967

Location: Ilton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Ilton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Ilton

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Isle Brewers

Listing Text


3/64 Ashford House
(formerly listed as
Ashford Farm
House with Forecourt wall and


Detached house. Dated 1703, probably a rebuilding of C17 work. Red brick, Flemish bond, with Ham stone kneelers and copings; thatched roof between coped gables; brick end and intermediate chimney stacks. Two storeys with attics; 6-bay irregular fenestration. Stone plinth, saw-tooth dentilled band course between floors with semi-circular relieving arches over ground floor openings: casement windows of early patterns, mostly 3-light, with rectangular-leaded panes, some iron-framed opening lights, timber lintels over all windows: bay 1 has single window above and 2 below; bay 2 has a double-depth upper window, with nothing below; the window to upper bay 5 is set lower to light the staircase, blank below: to lower bay 3 a boarded door on heavy frame with wirework porch. West gable has bandwork course, and C20 door, small C20 casement to first floor and 4-light leaded attic casement, above which,is a plaque with ovolo-mould surround inscribed '-B 1703', Rear elevation similar in character, but west bay has a C20 bay window below in an old opening, then 4,4,2 and single-light hollow chamfer mullioned windows below, with doorway opposite front door; above band course and relieving arches, and leaded casement windows. East window has a lean-to below, and the attic has two leaded windows, one a larger 3-light casement, the other smaller with a chamfered timber mullion. Interior only partly seen, but reported is a through-passage, 3-rood plan , with narrow north-facing rooms added during the rebuilding: chamfered beams with almost scroll-stops, wattle and daub partitioning; bacon curing chamber with east gable fireplace, and this room also has an early C19 built-in dresser fitment about the length of one wall; stone fireplace backing onto hall with double-ovolo moulding: roof frame not examined. An early dated complete use of brick in this area; similar work in this and Ashill C.P. may be up to 40 years earlier, but with stone as the lain structural element and the brick used almost decoratively.

Listing NGR: ST3567118959

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.