History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in West Chinnock, Crewkerne, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9178 / 50°55'4"N

Longitude: -2.7592 / 2°45'32"W

OS Eastings: 346730

OS Northings: 113422

OS Grid: ST467134

Mapcode National: GBR MH.QJSP

Mapcode Global: FRA 563P.2X9

Plus Code: 9C2VW69R+48

Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057129

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263763

Location: West and Middle Chinnock, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: West and Middle Chinnock

Built-Up Area: West Chinnock

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
West Chinnock

Listing Text

3/205 Church of Saint Mary


Church. C13 origins, but totally rebuilt in late C19. Ham stone ashlar and dressings; Welsh slates between coped
gables. 4-cell plan of chancel, (2-bays) nave and aisles (all of 3-bays), with West Tower. Tower in C13 style,
remainder in C14 style. Chancel plain, with corner plinth height buttresses and corbel tables to eaves; triple lancet
East window framed with attached columns and arches externally; on South side two 2-light windows with labels in
C15/C16 style, to North a single lancet and a 3-light C17 style mullioned window, both with labels. North and South
aisles plain, with corbel table to eaves; windows 2-light with C14 style decorated tracery; arched doorways without
porches to East bay of North aisle and centre bay of South aisle. Tower in 2-stages, with round arched doorway with
impost blocks in West wall, above which is a simple lancet window without label; string course on corbels, then pairs
of plain lancet windows in East and West walls cutting through simple string course at base of gables; pitched roof
between coped gables, with small spirelet surmounted by weathervane in centre of ridge. Internally totally C19 in
character, with no apparent survivals from earlier Church except a hatchment board dated 1825. Open boarded roofs with
trussed rafters; chancel arch and arcades in C13 style, fittings generally in C14 style; original and nicely detailed,
all unaltered since. First recorded Rector John de Kirkeby 1293; probable date of rebuilding between 1880 and 1890,
apparently after old church was burnt down.

Listing NGR: ST4673013422

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.