History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbey Farmhouse and Farm Gate and Stile to North West Corner

A Grade I Listed Building in Montacute, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9492 / 50°56'57"N

Longitude: -2.7189 / 2°43'8"W

OS Eastings: 349594

OS Northings: 116890

OS Grid: ST495168

Mapcode National: GBR MK.NGZ7

Mapcode Global: FRA 566L.LL4

Entry Name: Abbey Farmhouse and Farm Gate and Stile to North West Corner

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Last Amended: 27 October 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057256

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263546

Location: Montacute, South Somerset, Somerset, TA15

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Montacute

Built-Up Area: Montacute

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

8/91 Abbey Farmhouse
(previously listed as Priory
Gatehouse), and farm gate and
stile to north-west corner
Detached house, incorporating the gateway of the medieval priory. C16, C17 and C19. Ham stone ashlar; stone slate roofs
behind castellated parapets with coped gables; stone slab chimney stacks. South elevation 2 storeys, 7 bays, with a
2-storey 2-bay C19 addition to west. Plinth, eaves course, parapets, angled corner and bay buttresses; bay 1 has
3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned windows, no labels; bays 2/4 represent the gateway, bay 2 being an octagonal stair
turret with entrance door and three 2-light mullioned 4- centre arched light flat headed window under labels to
south-east face, the turret being taller than surrounding work; bay 4 is similar but lower, with 2 matching windows and
doorway in south face; between then the tall 4-centre arched gateway with 3 jamb shafts, and above a 1+4+1 light oriel
window with 4-centre arched lights, moulded corbel, battlements being angled to the bay, with a device on the central
merlon featuring a bishop's mitre and a block sundial over; above and below the oriel are bands of quatrefoil
panelling: bays 5, 6 and 7 have hollow chamfered mullioned and transomed windows, 3-light below and 2-light above, all
with labels; bay 6 is wider, with a moulded 4-centre arched doorway to the left having incised spandrils and
square-stopped label; the merlons to bays 5, 6 and 7 have a variety of carved panels. The extension to the west is set
lower, with double Roman clay tiled roof, and 2-light mullioned windows. The east elevation is plain - the chimneys
have been removed from a projecting stack here. The north elevation is plainer, with plinth, end buttresses only, eaves
course, battlemented parapets: bays 1, 2 and 3 have 2-light mullioned and transomed windows above; to lower bay 2,
off-centre, a 2-light chamfer-mullioned window, and to lower bay 3 an ovolo-mould mullioned window, these both with
labels; between bays 1/2 and right of bay 3 projections for chimney stacks, the former with offsets, the chimneys
probably C20: the main gateway matches the south side except for the absence of stair turrets, with a full-height
buttress to the left and a lean-to projection to the right, possibly for another stair, with stepped stone roof and 2
small windows: upper bay 7 has a 2-light mullioned window without label. The western extension has a mullioned window
to upper bay 1 and steel windows to bay 2, with a lean-to single-storey building across the front, with a C19 Gothic
style door; projection with stepped gable at west end, against which is a farm gateway with single stone gateposts and
a step-over stile to north. The interior not seen. The gateway bears the initials T.C., for Thomas Chard, prior
1514-32, and was thus one of the last buildings of this Cluniac house before the Dissolution. In 1539 the property was
leased as a farmhouse, being part of the landholding of the Phelips family of Montacute House: it was 'almost desolate'
by 1633; some years later it became a residence, but by 1782 it was a revitalised farm, retaining part of the Phelips
estate until 1918. (Country Life, 19th June 1915, p874: VCH vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4959016889

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.