History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Marshwood Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Carhampton, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.1774 / 51°10'38"N

Longitude: -3.3998 / 3°23'59"W

OS Eastings: 302247

OS Northings: 142950

OS Grid: ST022429

Mapcode National: GBR LM.64HW

Mapcode Global: VH6GN.1N0R

Entry Name: Marshwood Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057364

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265311

Location: Carhampton, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Carhampton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Blue Anchor

Listing Text

Blue Anchor

8/29 Marshwood Farmhouse


- II*

Manor house or grange, now farmhouse. Late C15, late C16-early C17 north-east and north-west wings added, hall ceiled
and plasterwork decoration, subsequently front wall raised, porch added, altered C18, 1883 roof reslated, 1955
extension to rear of north east wing demolished, restored late C20. Roughcast over rubble, quoins to porch, asbestos
slate roofs hipped to right, decorative ridge tiles, brick stack left gable end, tall brick stack rising from eaves,
rebuilt stone stack in north-east wing. Plan; open hall ceiled to 3 cell, stair turret and north-west and north-east
wings. Two storeys, 3:1:2:2 bays; all C20 casements except in porch and north-east wing, three 3-light casements left
of porch, 3-light stone ovolo moulded mullioned window in gabled full height porch, two 3-light windows right, set back
wing with part of mullioned window under hood mould cut with another window opening beyond, ground floor 3-light
windows left flanking C20 half-glazed door, two 3-light right of porch, raking buttresses, ground floor of wing masked
by additions; moulded Ham stone semi-circular headed opening with imposts to porch, inside 2 reset plasterwork panels,
said to have come from Dunster Castle, unidentified allegorical scene left, Sacrifice of Isaac right, moulded Tudor
arch head doorway, studded plank door with long hinges. Rear elevation: 2 stone ovolo moulded 3-light mullioned
windows. Interior; porch opens into 18-panel framed compartment ceiling divided by later partitions, moulded frame to
winder stairs with newel post opening off central hall; north west wing, now dairy, contains plasterwork overmantel
with heraldic device between supporters above a Ham stone moulded Tudor arch head fireplace similar but more ornate
overmantel on first floor said to display the arcs of lane Popham who carried Thomas Lutterell in 1621; barrel vaulted
bedroom ceiling with plasterwork decoration in the tympana, some concealed in roof space, An interesting and complex
building. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, January 1981; Photographs in NMR Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West
Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST0224742950

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.