History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Stringston, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.1749 / 51°10'29"N

Longitude: -3.1794 / 3°10'45"W

OS Eastings: 317646

OS Northings: 142402

OS Grid: ST176424

Mapcode National: GBR LY.66B6

Mapcode Global: VH6GR.VQ0P

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Last Amended: 16 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1057383

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265256

Location: Stringston, West Somerset, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Stringston

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


6/196 Church of St. Mary
(formerly listed as Stringston



Parish Church. Some C17 work, mainly late C19 and early C20; chancel rebuilt, vestry added, church restored 1878-9,
tower largely rebuilt 1912 when church again restored. Rendered over random rubble, plain tiles, decorative ridge
tiles, scalloped tiles on spire. Two bay nave, chancel, vestry South chapel to St. Albyn family, South porch, West
tower. Tower, 3 stage, broached spire, lancet window on each stage divided by string courses, louvred bell openings,
pair of lancets West end first stage. Diagonal buttresses one stage high with larger irregular buttress at South West
junction with nave. Two 2-light windows on North face, gabled South porch, arched entrance with hoodmould, piscina
used as a holy water stoop, arched doorway with C19 double doors. Gabled projection of South chapel, 2-light window,
hoodmould, group of head stones and memorial tablets set into external East wall of chapel and South wall of chancel
with railings on two sides forming a square enclosure. Lancet on South wall of chancel, 2-light East windows, vestry
projection North side. Interior: rendered. C14 chancel arch, remains of original barrel vaulted roof in nave, others
late C19 - early C20. Simple early C17 bench ends, one dated 1602. Good collection of late C:7 and C18 memorials to
the St. Albyn family in the South chapel, notably to John St. Albyn of Alfoxton Park (qv) died 1768, a typical design
in grey and black marble by John Ford the younger of Bath. (Gunnis, R; Dictionary of british Sculptures, 1951; Kelly
Directory, 1902).

Listing NGR: ST1764642402

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.