This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2952 / 53°17'42"N
Longitude: -1.5204 / 1°31'13"W
OS Eastings: 432061
OS Northings: 377690
OS Grid: SK320776
Mapcode National: GBR KZTB.MG
Mapcode Global: WHCCX.MF6N
Entry Name: Church of St Swithin
Listing Date: 31 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057675
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79646
Location: Holmesfield, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S18
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Holmesfield
Built-Up Area: Holmesfield
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Dronfield St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF HOLMESFIELD MAIN ROAD
SK 37 NW
5/164 (North Side)
Church of St Swithin,
Parish Church. 1727, with additions in 1826, 1895 and 1961.
Coursed squared coal measures sandstone, with quoins, coped
gable with cross finial to chancel, and slated roof coverings.
West tower, C20 tower porch, nave, chancel, and vestry. Two
stage tower with flat bands delineating stages. First stage
with single light pointed arched window within chamfered
surround; second stage with clock face and embattled added
parapet with crocketed pinnacles, incorporating central
segmental headed plaque bearing the date 1826. C20 gabled
lean-to porch encloses original entrance with quoined surround,
massive lintel and planked door with glazed light to centre.
Nave end wall window also within the porch, of 2-lights with
slightly chamfered mullion, in flush surround, and with leaded
glazings. Above, a matching window lights the nave gallery.
Three bay nave with tall semi-circular headed windows and raised
alternating quoins to surrounds. Chancel added in two single
bay phases, with one single lancet to late C19 bay, which rises
from a shallow plinth, and has a moulded eaves band, and a
buttress to the original end, now mid wall. Angled buttress to
new south-east corner, and tripartite east windows consisting of
a tall central lancet, flanked by lower lancets, within a
recessed panel of ashlar sandstone, beneath a semi- circular
headed arch. Gabled vestry and Sunday school additions to north
side. Interior retains gallery with pews, supported on thin
circular iron columns, with a stone access stair within the
tower. Interior. Gallery to east end, with charity boards,
otherwise fittings are C19.
Listing NGR: SK3206177690
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings