This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0731 / 51°4'23"N
Longitude: -3.4981 / 3°29'53"W
OS Eastings: 295139
OS Northings: 131488
OS Grid: SS951314
Mapcode National: GBR LH.DPM6
Mapcode Global: FRA 36K8.WJK
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 6 April 1959
Last Amended: 4 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057978
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265607
Location: Brompton Regis, West Somerset, Somerset, TA22
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Brompton Regis
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
SS93SE BROMPTON REGIS CP
BROMPTON REGIS VILLAGE
4/28 Church of St Mary
(formerly listed as Church of St
Mary the Virgin)
Parish church. C13 tower, c1490 nave rebuilt with north aisle, restored 1853 and 1885 when reroofed, chancel rebuilt
and south transept added, tower restored 1895, chapel restored 1962. Random rubble local stone, flat bedded in tower,
slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave, south transept, south porch, 4-bay north aisle and chapel, chancel.
Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to first stage pair of louvred lancet bell-openings, string course,
narrow lancet, C19 2-light west window; 3-light windows flanking single storey gabled porch, C19 pointed arch outer
doorway, C15 moulded pointed arch inner doorway partly renewed with C19 door, 3-light to transept, diagonal infill at
junction with nave, similar to that at Church of St Nicholas, Brushford CP (qv), priests floor, 2-light south chancel
window, 3-light east end, 4-light to east end of chapel with set back buttresses, one 3-light window left of square
rood stair projection with lancet, 4 right between stepped buttresses, 3-light west end. Interior: rendered. Pointed
C19 tower and chancel arches, former with corbelled inner arch, similar to south transept. C19 open timber roofs.
Perpendicular arcade with vine-leaf capitals, eastern capital recarved. Hollow chamfer 4-centred arch to rood stair
with stairs in situ; small arched niche in south chapel, presumably aumbry; trefoil headed opening in north side of
chancel wall, possibly hagioscope but not set diagonally. Pointed arch opening between chancel and nave now giving
access to pulpit. Pulpit dated 1625. C19 font. Organ in sout transept with plaque: "Restored George Ormond, Taunton";
the pipes are painted battleship grey. Can this be the same "pretty organ case in the Arts and Crafts style" which
Pevsner commented on? The organ is said in the church guide to be by T C Lewis, 1872, and the case dated 1897. Brass in
chancel to Joan Dyke, died 1605, and her husband Thomas, died 1639; memorial to Elizabeth Joyce, died l794, in chancell
floor slab to John Mellon, died l703, in nave. (Kellys Directory, 1914; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West
Listing NGR: SS9513931488
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings