This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2985 / 51°17'54"N
Longitude: -2.4094 / 2°24'33"W
OS Eastings: 371555
OS Northings: 155570
OS Grid: ST715555
Mapcode National: GBR JZ.YGN2
Mapcode Global: VH96Z.6M3D
Entry Name: Church of St James The Less
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058709
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267874
Location: Hemington, Mendip, Somerset, BA3
Civil Parish: Hemington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of St. James The Less
(Formerly listed as Church of St. James The Less, Foxcote)
Anglican Church. Early C18 incorporating C15/C16 turret. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, moulded cornice, parapet with coping, slate roof, coped verges. Nave, chancel, west bell turret.
Classical/Palladian, emphasis placed upon entrance front; Perpendicular turret. Two bay nave with rusticated quoins, semi-circular head windows with emphasised keys and imposts, diamond-paned leaded lights. Door opening with segmental pediment on Roman-Doric half-columns, six-panelled door; two bay chancel of lower height, rusticated quoins; windows similar to nave with square-paned leaded lights. Small two-stage embattled turret, corner pinnacles, narrow plain bell-chamber openings, semi-circular head east window. Interior plastered on tile and flagstone floors; coved plaster ceilings with moulded cornices; emphasised surrounds to windows. Jacobean altar table, altar rail and chair. Panelled C18 pulpit with carving. C19 pews, lectern and font. Fine set C18 wall monuments; to William Ponting of 1708 with segmental pediment; to John Smith of 1714 in marble surround; to Richard Ponting of 1715 in bolection moulded surround; to Thomas Fisher of 1719 with achievement set over, to Robert Smith of 1769 with weeping cherub; to Hannah Orange in marble with segmental pediment. Slab to Sarah Weaver of 1718; early C19 wall monument. Two C17 coffin stools. South-east corner of exterior with inscription.
Listing NGR: ST7155555570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings