This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6438 / 51°38'37"N
Longitude: -1.0999 / 1°5'59"W
OS Eastings: 462376
OS Northings: 194277
OS Grid: SU623942
Mapcode National: GBR B1T.YJ4
Mapcode Global: VHCY9.WYC6
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059273
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248032
Location: Berrick Salome, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Berrick Salome
Built-Up Area: Berrick Salome
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Berrick Salome
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
7/3 Church of St. Helen
Church. C11, C13, C14, remodelled C17, restored 1890 by A.M. Mowbray. Rendered
rubble with limestone and brick dressings, some timber framing and tile hanging;
old plain-tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south transept, west tower, and south
porch. C14 chancel has 3-light east window, with intersecting tracery, and
single-light ogee-headed side windows. C13 transept has lancet to east, and a
3-light south window with C17 chamfered-brick arched heads. South wall of nave
has a C17 timber-framed porch (restored C19) sheltering a simple
early-Romanesque doorway; to right is a tiny C11 window and, to left, a C17
window of 2 lights with chamfered-brick dressings. Above is a C19 dormer with
gable on carved brackets. North wall of nave is largely obscured by a large
vestry of 1890, but has a 3-light brick-mullioned window, with brick label, plus
a 3-light dormer. Timber-framed tower is clad in C19 ornamental tile hanging and
shingles, with arched framing at ground floor plus arched wooden belfry openings
below a pyramid roof. Interior: chancel has a C14 ogee-headed piscina, with
shelf, and a 7-canted roof with C19 panelling. Nave has a 4-bay roof, dated
1615, with upper and lower windbraces, 2 rows of ogee-moulded butt purlins, and
elaborate double-collar trusses with queen struts, from which spring arched
braces to a central pendant, plus curved upper struts. End trusses have tiebeans
carrying rectangular framing with elaborate curved bracing. 2 intermediate
trusses have inserted C19 tie beams with added queen struts and bracing. 2-bay
transept roof has arched windbraces and an arch-braced collar truss, with added
C19 tie beam, and is probably C15. Fittings include western gallery, with heavy
turned balusters, dated 1676, and C17 oak panelled pews. Romanesque font has
pattern of linked circles. Small area of medieval floor tiles. Interior of tower
not inspected but probably C14/C15 framing.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.452).
Listing NGR: SU6237694277
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings