This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5789 / 51°34'44"N
Longitude: -1.159 / 1°9'32"W
OS Eastings: 458374
OS Northings: 187007
OS Grid: SU583870
Mapcode National: GBR 916.V3M
Mapcode Global: VHCYN.VKNY
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary
Listing Date: 14 June 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247953
Location: Cholsey, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Cholsey
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cholsey
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHURCH ROAD (West side)
Church of St. Mary
Church. C11 tower; C12 nave, chancel and transepts; mid C13 extension to chancel; late C14 rebuilding of tower above roof level and end wall of south transept; C15 extension to nave; c.1849 nave re-roofed; c.1877 north wall of north transept rebuilt, and two windows inserted to chancel.
Flint and stone with stone dressings, nave rendered; slate roof to nave; recent plain-tile roofs to transepts and chancel; roof to tower not visible.
Cruciform plan with central tower. Paired plank doors to Romanesque doorway to centre of nave with columns and carved capitals supporting zig-zag moulded arch. Blocked Romanesque lancet to left of centre. C19 three-light windows of Reticulated tracery, two-centred arched heads, hood moulds and carved end stops to left and right. Two-centre arched doorway with ribbed and studded door to tower stair turret at angle between nave and south transept. Romanesque lancet to left return of south transept. C19 Romanesque lancet to right return of south transept. Three-light window to end of south transept. Perpendicular tracery with carved faces to end stops of hood mould. Two C19 lancets to left of chancel with carved heads to ends of hood moulds. Two-centre arched doorway with studded plank door to left of centre. Three lancets to right of chancel. Three-light window with Geometrical tracery to east end.
Rear of chancel: three lancets to left, round-topped Romanesque window to right. Three-light window with Reticulated tracery to end of north transept. Romanesque lancet to right return of north transept. Rear of nave: two-centred arched blocked doorway to centre. C19 three-light windows to left and right of Reticulated tracery with two-centred arched heads with hood moulds and carved end stops. Three-light window to west end of Perpendicular tracery with segmental head.
Tower: two-light louvred openings of Reticulated tracery to each side. Paired trefoil lancet to west side. Battlemented top to towers.
Interior: sedilia to right of chancel. Crossing: Romanesque arches, those to nave and chancel on half-columns with carved capitals. Some medieval tiles to floor of south transept.
Listing NGR: SU5837787004
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings