History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cottage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aston Tirrold, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5682 / 51°34'5"N

Longitude: -1.1985 / 1°11'54"W

OS Eastings: 455647

OS Northings: 185785

OS Grid: SU556857

Mapcode National: GBR 91B.PSD

Mapcode Global: VHCYN.5VR5

Entry Name: The Cottage

Listing Date: 13 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1059301

English Heritage Legacy ID: 247894

Location: Aston Tirrold, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX11

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Aston Tirrold

Built-Up Area: Aston Tirrold

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Aston Tirrold

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

In the entry for:

(east side)
9/10 The Cottage

The grade and the description shall be amended to read:

(east side)
1060- /9/10 The Cottage


House. 1286 (west wing) and perhaps 1508 (east wing), with major additions 1620 (north
wing). Restored 1956 and 1991-2. Timber frame, with water reed thatch (1991). West wing
is of two bays with hipped end, north wing of one cell with single cell east wing in angle
between the other two wings. Large stack in southern bay of north wing. One storey west
wing (formerly two), two storeys to the rest. West wing is of box frame construction on a
sole plate (entirely replaced 1992). Much original wattle-and-daub infills, some replaced
1992, all like the frame now limewashed. Bays are defined by full-height posts which support
wallplates and tie beams in normal assembly, though only the outer two ties are original. Post
feet, storey girts and studs repaired and in placed replaced. Posts are braced to wall-plates and
ties, but these braces are visible externally only at the west end. Here they are crossed near
the top of the facade by an applied but original chamfered and stopped sill piece, forming
the plinth for a four-light window reconstructed 1992. This has octagonal mullions with
carved bases and caps, similar responds, and a cusped arched headboard fitted against the
mullions and into rebates in the jambs. The headboard is carved "1286", "J" and "B" (for
Joan and Bryan Bateman, owners). The south face of this wing has a small diamond-mullion
window of 4 lights tucked under the western brace and two C20 casements. The north face
has a C20 casement and a small ventilator of 1286, a pierced board in pointed quatrefoil
form, the opening defined by a chamfer, quick and scribed circle. A ham-hung shutter
survives behind. West wing interior is now a single space. Open staircase occupies the
original position at east end. Timbers are fully visible including dragon ties, possible truncated
passing braces to central truss and wallplate jointed on north side by a tabled scarf with
undersquinted abutments. A similar scarf on the south has this detail on the top side only.
Open roof is 1992 queen strut and wind braced, reinstatement of C16 pattern which
survived until 1956, designed by Daniel Miles. The north wing is of heavy framing, painted
black, with arched braces to wallplate. One window per storey, C20 casements. C20 plank
door in early chamfered frame close to junction with west wing and therefore opposite the
axial stack. Gable end has casements above tie, otherwise obscured by C20 flat-roofed brick
addition of one storey running to C20 garage with pitched tiled roof Garden side shows
different builds with adjacent posts, and storey girt only to north wing. Three C20 fixed
windows, and glazed door to east wing. North wing inside has wide plank door to kitchen,
and very elaborately moulded bressummer to large fireplace; heavy joists. Roof over this
portion a modern replacement after fire in 1956. East wing inside has large brick fireplace
with herringbone back, inserted floor dated 1620 on eastern ledge with evidence for a smoke
hood showing in its north eastern portion. Beam with ovolo chamfer and double jewel stops,
heavily carved bracket, zigzag and gouging on ledges. Old brick and tile floor. Roof over
this portion replaced after fire in 1956. History: The west wing has been dated by
dendrochronology to 1286. It is likely that it then formed the Solar wing to a small house
of which the hall adjoined at the north east corner, on the site of the present north wing.
The house probably belonged to a half-yardlander. The sole plate of the west wing has been
dated to 1508 and this may also be the date of the east wing. In 1620 this single storey block
was floored and perhaps at the same time the north wing constructed, re-using an earlier
fireplace bressummer. It has since been shortened by at least one bay. The C13 wing is one
of the very few domestic timber-framed buildings of this date to have been discovered in
which aisled construction is not used. Its constructional, and especially decorative, details are
of the highest importance. C R J Currie in Oxoniensia (1992), pp 103-7.


SU5585 (East side)
9/10 The Cottage

Cottage. C17. Large timber framing with rendered infill; recent wood shingle
roof; central brick ridge stack. 2-storey, single-window range. Plank door to
right. 2-light casement to left. 2-light casement to first floor centre.
Interior not inspected. Timber framed cross-wing with rendered infill and
shingled hipped roof, probably former barn, to right.

Listing NGR: SU5564785785

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.