This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5322 / 51°31'55"N
Longitude: -1.0584 / 1°3'30"W
OS Eastings: 465410
OS Northings: 181891
OS Grid: SU654818
Mapcode National: GBR B37.WRV
Mapcode Global: VHCYX.LRTB
Entry Name: The Oratory School
Listing Date: 16 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059497
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247454
Location: Woodcote, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG8
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Woodcote
Built-Up Area: Woodcote
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woodcote
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
In the entry for WOODCOTE A4074
6/237 (South Side)
The Oratory School
The description shall be amended by adding the words
"Further large C20 wings and extensions are not of special architectural importance."
5U68SE (South side)
6/237 The Oratory School
Country House, now School. Early C18: remodelled c.1910 by Detmar Blow. Stone
base; red brick; slate roof to centre: plain tile roof to wings with lead
ridges; brick stacks. Double depth plan. 3 storeys and attic to centre; 2
storeys and attic to wings; 13-window range. 2:3:3:3:2. Central 3 bays have
central doorcase with segmental pediment on volutes with carved basket and fruit
to tympanum. Heads and palm fronds to frieze. Sash door with rectangular light
over. 12-pane sashes to left and right. Brick band between ground and first
floor. Three 12-pane sashes to first floor. Three 6-pane sashes to second floor.
Pediment to gable end of roof with oval window to tympanum. 3-bay wings to left
and right: 12-pane sashes to all openings except sash door to left. 2
flat-roofed dormers to right. 2-bay ends to left and right: 12-pane sashes to
ground floor. Brick band between ground and first floor. 6-pane sashes to left
end. 12-pane sashes to right end. Hipped roof. Rear: 3 storeys to centre; 2
storeys to wings; 14-window range 3:2:3:3:3. Central 3 bays: Central double sash
door with round light over. Round topped 16-pane sashes to left and right. Three
6-pane sashes to first floor. Brick band between first and second floor. Three
12 pane sashes to second floor. Pedimented gable to roof. 2 bays to left of
centre: 12-pane sashes to all openings; flat dormer to roof. 3 bays to left:
Brick Corinthian Giant order pilasters between windows. Central 28-pane window
with sash doors base. 28-pane sashes to left and right. 3 bays to right of
centre have 12-mane sashes to all openings. 3 bays to right: Brick Corinthian
giant order pilasters between windows. C20 24-pane windows to ground floor.
Three 16-pane sashes to first floor. Interior: Entrance hall; black and white
marble floor, Tuscan Doric columns supporting entablature with swagged frieze.
Early C18 carved wood fireplace. Staircase: open well staircase with 3 turned
balusters to each tread. West wing: has room decorated c.1780 with Adam style
ceiling and doorcases. Subsidiary wings to left and right of entrance front:
brown brick with red brick dressings; plain tile roof with lead ridges. Right
hand return of left wing; 3 round topped 12-pane sashes to ground floor, central
one in blind arch. Arched recessed panels to left and right first floor. Left
hand return of right wing: central blind arch: double sash door with arched
overlight to right, arched topped window to ground floor left and first floor
left and right.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.852-3).
Listing NGR: SU6541081891
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings