This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6585 / 52°39'30"N
Longitude: -2.203 / 2°12'10"W
OS Eastings: 386366
OS Northings: 306776
OS Grid: SJ863067
Mapcode National: GBR 18K.7VZ
Mapcode Global: WHBFK.4F7R
Plus Code: 9C4VMQ5W+CR
Entry Name: Chillington Hall
Listing Date: 16 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060191
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271316
Location: Brewood and Coven, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, WV8
Civil Parish: Brewood and Coven
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Brewood St Mary and St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 80 NE
Country house. Two main phases: S. elevation dated 1724 on lead drainpipe heads; perhaps by Francis Smith of Warwick; E, elevation 1786-89 by Sir John Soane.
Red brick with ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs; brick stacks. Four ranges enclosing a roughly rectangular courtyard.
S. elevation: three storeys with moulded plinth, # moulded cornice and balustraded parapet; rusticated corner pilasters, that on the left links cornice and base but that on right reaches only as high as second floor window sills and is level with the cornice of the W, elevation; eight windows; glazing bar sashes with moulded surrounds and raised key stones and aprons; fourth ground floor window from right has a short flight of steps in front of it and probably replaces a doorway.
E. elevation: two storeys and attic with plinth, moulded cornice and balustraded parapet; 1:3:3:3:1 windows; three storey outer wings, that to right with hipped roof; glazing bar sashes with architrave surrounds and strainer arches above; ground floor windows tall. Central half glazed door to Ionic portico with pediment bearing the Giffard coat of arms, approached by a flight of steps.
Stable court to rear: probably early C18; red brick; slate roof hipped to north, pedimented to south. Main elevation to west fifteen bays; cross casements with stone keys; classical articulation to south gable end.
Interior: The Morning Room of 1724 has a decorative plaster ceiling with central quatrefoil containing an allegorical female figure.
Staircase Hall: c1724 has an open well staircase with turned balusters and richly carved tread ends; stucco panels on the walls containing busts, heraldic stained glass window of c1830 by John Freeth of Birmingham.
Entrance Hall: by Soane with screen of Ionic Columns, enriched cornice and fireplaces.
Saloon by Soane; oval dome in centre with lantern, carried on segmental arches, the Giffard crests are set in roundels on the pendentives. The Giffard family has held Chillington since c1180.
Chillington Hall stands within a landscaped park complete with lake, the creation of Capability Brown.
Listing NGR: SJ8636606776
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings