History in Structure

Church of St Augustine

A Grade I Listed Building in West Monkton, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0507 / 51°3'2"N

Longitude: -3.0527 / 3°3'9"W

OS Eastings: 326304

OS Northings: 128453

OS Grid: ST263284

Mapcode National: GBR M3.G2FP

Mapcode Global: FRA 46HB.NJ6

Plus Code: 9C3R3W2W+7W

Entry Name: Church of St Augustine

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060422

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270748

ID on this website: 101060422

Location: St Augustine's Church, West Monkton, Somerset, TA2

County: Somerset

District: Somerset West and Taunton

Civil Parish: West Monkton

Built-Up Area: West Monkton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
West Monkton


Church of St Augustine


Parish church. Some C13 work, C14 tower and South aisle, mid C15 clerestoried nave roof, North aisle, South porch,
circa 1820 vestry added, West door became main entrance 1821, 1883-4 North and South aisles extended one bay, former
linked to vestry by organ chamber, West gallery removed, church reseated and refitted, 1957 church redecorated, 1966
South chapel restored. Late C19 work by G C Strawbridge of Taunton. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings
and quoins, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 4 bay clerestoried nave, 4 bay South aisle with chapel, South porch,
4 bay North aisle with organ chamber and vestry, chancel. 4 stage crenellated tower, set back buttresses, full height
crenellated forth Test stair turret, string courses, 2-light mullioned and transomed louvred bell-openings, South face
empty canopied niche with 2-light mullioned and transomed trefoil headed window above, 3-light mullioned and transomed
trefoil headed West window, early Perpendicular moulded West door, C19 double doors; 8 cinquefoil headed 3-light
clerestorey windows, crenellated South aisle, 2-light West window, South front blue lias tablet to Anna Musgrave, died
1709, with Ham stone cherub console, 2-light window left of single storey crenellated porch with gabled centre filled
with sundial inscribed Timothy Lock(ett) and Will(iam) House 1725, (the donors of 4 pieces of communion plate), string
course and gargoyles, diagonal buttresses, moulded arched doorframes, C19 inner door and roof, piscina right, angle
corbel over floor, two 2-light windows right between stepped buttresses, end bay unlit with priest's door, more C18 blue
lias tablets with good lettering including another carried on Ham stone cherub console, 3-light East window to aisle,
3-light windows to South and East walls of chancel, diagonal buttresses, reset stall 2-light North window, deeply set
3-light window to organ chamber, crenellated North aisle, three 3-light windows between stepped buttresses, rainwater
heads dated 1922, 2-light West window. Interior: whitewashed, fragmentary remains of wall paintings found on jambs of
clerestorey windows and on South arcade in 1957 have been covered over. Tower arch chamfered in 3 orders, dying into
imposts, chancel arch continuous double chamfer. Chancel C19 arched braced roof, plastered tonopitch aisle roots, fine
ribbed wagon roof with bosses in nave, foliage decorated wall plate with angels. Standard Perpendicular arcades, South
aisle with rosettes on capitals, likewise East ends of aisles and at crossing. Rood loft stair opening about 1.25
metres from ground on forth side of chancel arch, aumbry to right; piscina in South aisle. Fittings including pews,
font, reredos, pulpit and statue of St Augustine in crocketed niche above, all 1883-4; the Beer stone pulpit with
stairway by G Strawbridge who was probably also responsible for the other fittings, Screen at East end of North aisle
composed of C17 and C18 fittings removed from church in the 1880s and including the remains of a family pew dated 1614.
Late C19 stained glass including East window by Clayton and Bell in memory of the Rev Kingslake 1838-81; West window 4
panels of painted glass signed and dated Grey and Son, 1821, reset from earlier East window. Unidentified coat of arms
set over chancel arch on sanctuary side. Large collection of interesting monuments including a small half figure brass
of a cleric thought to be Henry Abyndon, rector 1436-57, in chancel; marble and slate draped aedicule with urn to
Alexander Popham died 1767; slate and Deer stone plaque with a bat winged skull to George Musgrave died 1693; slate
headstone to William Kingslake, physician, died 1666 with inscription; interesting painted and gilded slate tablet to
Elisabeth Musgrave died 1708 with later C18 additions giving details of the seating arrangements in the church; other
C18 monuments and two early C19 ones signed T King of Bath. (Photograph in NMR; Kelly's Directory, 1897; M E Roynan,
Church of St Augustine of Canterbury, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST2630628457

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.