History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rumwood Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Langley, Kent

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2408 / 51°14'26"N

Longitude: 0.577 / 0°34'37"E

OS Eastings: 579978

OS Northings: 152227

OS Grid: TQ799522

Mapcode National: GBR PRP.2PM

Mapcode Global: VHJMM.Y2DM

Plus Code: 9F326HRG+8R

Entry Name: Rumwood Court

Listing Date: 26 April 1968

Last Amended: 18 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1060892

English Heritage Legacy ID: 174114

Location: Langley, Maidstone, Kent, ME17

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Civil Parish: Langley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


TQ 75 SE
(north side)
1/96 Rumwood Court

House, now flats. 1599, restored in C19, with additions of 1896
and alterations of 1950s. Timber framed with plaster infilling.
Plain tile roof. Main range of 2 or possibly 3 unequal length
bays. Projecting porch towards left end with projecting bay
window to right of it. Broad projecting wing to right end.
1896 additions to left end and rear. 2 storeys, attics and cellar
on stone plinth. Close-studded. Moulded fillet towards eaves
of main range, with restored close-studded coving above. Strapwork
decoration to bases of principal posts of porch and wing. Porch
and right wing jettied to first floor and attic on moulded
bressumers with carved brackets. Eaves of porch raised above
attic jetty and jettied again. Gable over bay window also jettied,
with moulded bressumer and brackets. Carved bargeboards and
pendant to porch [restored in C19], bay window, and wing [with
pendant dated 1599]. Roof abuts 1896 section to left. Brick
stack with 2 fillets in front slope of roof in narrow right end
bay of main range. Irregular fenestration of ovolo-moulded
mullioned and transomed windows. 8-light oriel window with side
lights to first floor of porch, on carved brackets, with moulded
cill, jambs and head. Mullioned 3-light attic window. Bay has
stone base and 18-light ground-floor window with side lights, and
with head higher than jetty of wing; "first floor" close studded.
3-light mullioned window within gable. Cross window immediately
to right of bay and small inserted 3-light window to right end of
main range. Wing has 10-light rectangular oriel to first floor,
on carved brackets, with side lights, and with frieze window to
each side, that to left returning along left side of wing.
Similar canted bay window to ground floor, also with frieze
windows returning to left. 8-light attic window. Various
windows to right side of wing. C16 ribbed outer door to porch
in architrave with moulded jambs. Inner doorway has moulded
jambs with decorative chamfer stops. Small gabled bay and gabled
cross-wing added to left end 1896 in similar style. Interior not
inspected but said to have much altered late C16 fireplace, and
panelling. [Illustrated, with measured details, in Examples of
Carved Oak Woodwork of the 16th and 17th Centuries, William Bliss
Saunders, 1883].

Listing NGR: TQ7997852227

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.