This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2132 / 51°12'47"N
Longitude: 0.5897 / 0°35'22"E
OS Eastings: 580969
OS Northings: 149189
OS Grid: TQ809491
Mapcode National: GBR PRW.ZWM
Mapcode Global: VHJMN.5RLT
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060905
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174142
Location: Sutton Valence, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: Sutton Valence
Built-Up Area: Sutton Valence
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
SUTTON VALENCE CHART ROAD
7/123 Church of
Parish church. 1823-8 by W. Ashenden, incorporating medieval
work. Alterations of 1866, and of 1874 by G.M. Hills. Small
blocks of coursed stone. Slate roof. West tower, nave, south
aisle, south porch, chancel with north and south chapels, north
aisle. West tower: 3 stages on moulded plinth with battlements.
Semi-octagonal clasping buttresses to 2 lower stages. Pointed
arched louvred opening to each face of belfry. 3-light west
window. Tall narrow 2-centred arched west doorway with worn
moulded jambs and hoodmould. South aisle: stops short of
west end of tower. Diagonal south-west buttress. Pointed
arched west window. Four 3-light south windows alternating with
buttresses; 2 each side of porch. South porch: closely flanked
by 2 buttresses with aisle window-head over. Battlemented.
Pointed arched doorway with squared hoodmould, incorporating
quatrefoiled medieval spandrels. 4-centred arched inner doorway.
South chapel: virtually continuous with south aisle but with
slightly lower eaves. Diagonal south-east buttress. Pointed
arched south doorway with hoodmould, and blind quatrefoil set
above it. 2-light east window. Chancel: with chamfered corners
and diagonal buttresses. Hipped roof. Broad 3-light east
window of 1866 by Habershon. North chapel: as south, but without
quatrefoil. North aisle: stops short of west end of tower.
Four 3-light windows flanked by buttresses. Blind bay to west
end. Pointed arched west window. Interior: Structure: 4-bay
north and south arcades inserted 1874 by G.M. Hills, with
octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases in a medieval
style. Similar C19 pointed, double-chamfered arches to chancel
arch and between aisles and chapels. Attached columns of chancel
arch, inner columns and outer corbels of aisle/chapel arches
medieval; corbels with grotesque faces and gadrooned sides,
columns octagonal with moulded capitals and bases. Complete
medieval double-chamfered pointed arch with attached columns
between chancel and each chapel. No tower arch, but 3-bay arcade
of pointed arches opening on to corbelled and quatrefoiled stone
balcony with iron railings half way up tower. Panelled 4-centred
arched door within wall partitioning west bay of north and south
aisles from rest of aisle. Scientific raked queen-strut roof
to nave. Fittings: C15 octagonal concave-sided font with
petalled flowers, on shafted octagonal stem with moulded base.
Early C20 square wooden pulpit with canted corners, fielded
panels to sides, and fluting to corner panels, on fluted stem.
1844 Benefactors' board at west end of south aisle. Monuments:
tapering stone tomb slab with raised cross at west end of south
aisle. (J Newman, West Kent and The Weald, 1980).
Listing NGR: TQ8096949189
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings