This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.213 / 51°12'46"N
Longitude: 0.6249 / 0°37'29"E
OS Eastings: 583434
OS Northings: 149250
OS Grid: TQ834492
Mapcode National: GBR QT8.W9N
Mapcode Global: VHJMN.SS70
Entry Name: Redhill School
Listing Date: 4 November 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060925
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174087
Location: East Sutton, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: East Sutton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
EAST SUTTON EAST SUTTON ROAD
TQ 84 NW
5/70 Redhill School
Unfinished country house, formerly farmhouse, now school.
Dated 1612. Restoration and additions of mid C19. Unusual
plan, resembling one of John Thorpe's designs lJ. Newman,
West Kent and the Weald, 19801. Red brick in English bond
with rendered dressings. Plain tile roof. Fragment of a
house the rest of which was never built. 2 storeys, attics
and basement on high coursed galletted stone plinth. Deep
moulded string course above ground floor and first floor
windows. Shaped gable ends with moulded rendered coping.
3 shaped brick gables to south elevation, also with rendered
coping. Each south gable and each gable end has 3-light
ovolo-moulded rendered window with hoodmould. Regular 3-bay
front to south of one 2-storey slightly canted bay towards
each end and 2-storey central triangular bay, all with plain
tiled roofs abutting the 3 gables and with string courses
continued round them. Each rectangular bay has 6-light
rendered ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed window to each
floor, with side-lights. Central bay has 2-light transomed
window to each side on each floor. 2 cross windows between
each outer bay and central bay. Further 2-storey triangular
bay to left gabled end. Slender rendered shaft with bell
capital and base to outer and inner angle of each bay, to
corners of each south gable, and to each corner of ground and
first floor to front and rear. Central bay terminates just
above plinth, with shaped base. Half-glazed door beneath it.
Blank rendered shield or motif to each south gable, and
rendered strapwork to gable ends. Date 1612 to east gable
end, and shield with monogram to west gable. C19 rear wings
in similar style, with chimney stacks. Interior: not inspected
but said to contain plaster friezes, plaster strapwork to
ceiling of window bays, and doors carved with early C17 figures
of Faith, Hope and Charity (J. Newman, Op. Cit.]. C20
additions to rear and right not included.
Listing NGR: TQ8343449249
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings