This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0142 / 51°0'51"N
Longitude: 0.9425 / 0°56'32"E
OS Eastings: 606492
OS Northings: 127990
OS Grid: TR064279
Mapcode National: GBR SZV.C30
Mapcode Global: FRA D6VF.QYN
Plus Code: 9F322W7R+MX
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 9 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061102
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175564
Location: St. Mary in the Marsh, Folkestone and Hythe, Kent, TN29
District: Folkestone and Hythe
Civil Parish: St. Mary in the Marsh
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 065 280 ST. MARY IN THE MARSH
7/104 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12, circa 1300, circa 1800 and C19. Mixed stone, partly
rendered. Plain tile roof. Wood shingles to spire. West tower, virtually
continuous nave and chancel, north and south aisles to nave, and south porch.
West tower: C12. Three stages to north and south, lower two incorporated to
west. Clasping buttresses. Splay-footed octagonal spire. North and south
sides each have small chamfered round-headed opening to first and third stages
and broader round-headed opening to second stage (blocked to north). Single
trefoil-headed light to top stage to west. 2-centred arched west door with
plain chamfer and broach stops, now rendered. South aisle: probably circa
1300. Narrow and gabled, with 3 buttresses. No west window. Two 2-light
south windows of circa 1800 with round-headed cavetto-moulded lights and
segmental hoodmould with dropped verticals. Chamfered, round-headed east
window, possibly inserted. South porch: coped, with rounded kneelers of
rendered tiles. Rectangular lights to east and west. Chamfered 2-centred
arched outer doorway and similar inner doorway with broach stop. Chancel:
C12, extended circa 1300. South-east and north-east angle buttresses.
Battered plinth to east. 2 tall rebated south lancets, that to west longer
and broader. Small doorway to west of centre with pointed arch, plain
chamfer and broach stops. Cusped 4-light east window of circa 1300, with
3 quatrefoils to head, cavetto mullions, hollow-chamfered architrave and no
hoodmould. One tall chamfered north lancet towards west end. North aisle:
circa 1300. No plinth. Gabled, with moulded stone coping. 4 evenly-spaced
north buttresses on moulded plinths. 2-light east window with cinquefoiled
head , square top and hoodmould. 2 similar windows to north in outer bays.
Central hollow-chamfered north doorway with broach stops and almost pointed
head. No west window. Interior: Structure: 3-bay nave arcade with pointed
arches of 2 hollow-chamfered orders and columns with bell capitals and bases.
Arcades rest at east and west ends on moulded imposts, that to north-west forming
tall moulded hat slung low over carved head beneath. No chancel arch. Tower arch
plain chamfered and pointed (a later alterarion?). Springing from attached columns
with scalloped capitals and bell bases.East window flanked either side by slender
shaft with bell capital and base set within the hollow-chamfered architrave of the
window.Hollow-chamfered rere-arch with roll-and-fillet hoodmculd.String below east
window rounded but not undercut. Inner arches of 2 south lancets spring from
small carved heads with bell "hats". Small moulded imposts to north lancet.
Rectangular stone to east of centre of chancel in north wall said to mark
extent of C12 chancel. Broad rectangular blocked opening at west end of south
chancel wall. Narrow round-headed rood-loft doorway just above nave arcade at
south junction of nave and chancel. Roof: 4 crown-posts to nave; 2 to centre
octagonal with moulded capitals and bases, that to west end rectangular with
broad chamfered sides, that to east end plain. Sous-laces, ashlar-pieces and
moulded cornice. Moulded tie-beams, those to centre with pendant posts and
solid braces. Chancel roof of common rafters with collars, sous-laces, ashlar-
pieces and chamfered cornice. Straight central plain-chamfered tie-beam. 4
short, rectangular, chamfered crown-posts to north aisle on heavy cambered
moulded tie-beams. Sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. Moulded cornice to north.
3 plain straight intermediate tie-beams. South aisle roof similar, but with
Fittings: 2 stepped sedile and unusual double piscina under continuous
roll-and-fillet hoodmould with mask-like face between sedile and piscina and
priest's head between sedile. All 3 have trefoil-heads, hollow chamfers
and broach stops. Medieval floor tiles to chancel. Octagonal Medieval font
with octagonal shaft on square stone plinth to west of south door. Painted
wood font cover, probably C17, with knob finial. Slender moulded beam to
west end of east bay of south aisle, set towards springing of arcade and
probably the head of a screen. C18 north door to north aisle and C18 doors
with fielded panels to tower arch. C18 hexagonal pulpit with fielded panels
and balusters. Royal arms 1775 over north door. Italianate triptych on west
wall of south aisle. Monuments: Plain tablet above font to Edith M. Nesbit
1858-1924. Brass to Matilda Jamys, d.1499, and brass to William Gregory,
d.1502 in nave. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the
Listing NGR: TR0649227987
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings