This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0282 / 51°1'41"N
Longitude: 0.9975 / 0°59'51"E
OS Eastings: 610288
OS Northings: 129702
OS Grid: TR102297
Mapcode National: GBR SZR.F0F
Mapcode Global: FRA D6ZD.GFR
Entry Name: New Hall new Hall Cottage the Expenditors House
Listing Date: 9 June 1959
Last Amended: 23 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061129
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175518
Location: Dymchurch, Shepway, Kent, TN29
Civil Parish: Dymchurch
Built-Up Area: Dymchurch
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 103 297 DYMCHURCH HIGH STREET
4/60 No. 129 (New Hall,
The Expenditors House
9.6.59 and New Hall Cottage).
House and Court Room, now house, Court Room and offices. Late C16, altered
in C19. Timber framed. North elevation (to New Hall Close) : ground
floor clad in C19 in chequered red and grey brick, first floor in alternate
bands of plain and fishscale tiles. First floor of right end bay rebuilt
in brick. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys. Central section recessed. Left
projection formerly jettied to north and east, right probably formerly
jettied to north. Hipped roof; right hip returns with lower ridge, left
hip with higher ridge. Small brick ridge stack towards right end of recess
and later gable end stack to right. Irregular fenestration of 4 windows;
2 broadly-spaced 2-light fixed lights with glazing bars to Court Room
in broader left projection, large tripartite sash to centre of recess,
12-pane glazing bar sash to right projection. Recess has 2 ground-floor
windows in open boxes; one narrow, adjoining front door to left and one
16-pane glazing bar sash with rendered voussoirs to right. Door of 6
fielded panels towards left end of recess, with fluted Doric pilasters
and broad hood with moulded triangular pediment. 2-storey house adjoining
to right but set back. Probably early C19. Rendered,right end tile-hung.
Plain tile roof. 2 storeys. Stack towards right. One 12-pane glazing bar
sash in open box. Panelled door in single-storey brick extension to front
at right end. C20 single-storey brick addition to left bay not included.
Elevation to High Street: clad in red brick with occasional grey headers.
Dentilled brick eaves cornice. Rendered quoins to left. Steeply-pitched
hipped roof, left hip returning with lower ridge. Central brick ridge
stack. Irregular fenestration of three 12-pane glazing bar sashes in
open boxes to right of stack (to Court Room) and, to left of stack, one
sash either side of short C19 two-storey brick wing. All windows have
segmental heads. Left return wing rendered with 4 glazing bar sashes.
Interior: first-floor Court Room in north-east corner, of 2 timber-framed
bays running north-south, with staggered butt-side purlins and scowled
posts with moulded brackets. Court Room benches and tables, some fixed.
Room beneath Court Room has moulded beams and dragon beam; access to it
through chamfered doorway from timber-framed passage leading via moulded
doorway from entrance hall. Interior only partly inspected. Built on
site of a building burnt circa 1580. Centre of Romney Marsh administration
until Corporation divested of powers during late C19 and early C20. Part
used as gaol until 1866.
Listing NGR: TR1028829702
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings