This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0335 / 51°2'0"N
Longitude: 0.8714 / 0°52'16"E
OS Eastings: 601422
OS Northings: 129934
OS Grid: TR014299
Mapcode National: GBR RY7.541
Mapcode Global: FRA D6QD.197
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine
Listing Date: 9 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175470
Location: Brenzett, Shepway, Kent, TN26
Civil Parish: Brenzett
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 014 299 BRENZETT A2070
6/13 Church of St Augustine
Parish church. C13, C14, and C15, restored 1873 by C.T. Whitley.
Roughly coursed stone with plain tile roof. West tower, broad nave,
south porch, chancel set towards south side of nave with chapel to north
which projects north beyond nave. West tower: C14 or early C15. Two
stages. No plinth. Setback buttresses. Battlements. Small chamfered
rectangular light with wood louvres to each side of upper stage and to west
and south side of lower stage. Moulded 2-centred arched west doorway with
roll-and-fillet hoodmould with carved heads as label stops. Nave: C13.
Plinthless. South elevation has 2 buttresses and two C19 two-light
windows in a C14 style, with hoodmoulds. South porch: C19. Small blocks
of roughly squared coursed stone. Moulded 2-centred arched doorway and
two C19 windows. Inner doorway medieval; 2-centred arch with hollow
chamfer. Chancel: C13 rebuilt or altered in C14. Plinthless. Three
buttresses. Two cusped C19 two-light south windows with hoodmoulds. 3-light
east window with similar cusping, with inscription beneath: "ErectedA.D. 1873
Edward Wilkinson Rector". North chapel: C13 altered in C14. Plinthless.
Three buttresses. Gabled. C19 octagonal moulded stone stack to north east
corner. Reticulated 2-light east window of C14 origin with hood mould.
North windows similar but probably restored. C19 two-centred arched doorway
with hoodmould to west end. North elevation of nave: Plinthless. 2
buttresses. 2 cusped C14 two-light windows, probably largely original, one
with ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil, the other with intersecting tracery,
both with hoodmoulds. No west window. Interior: Structure: West door
leads into base of tower, one step lower than rest of church. Broad aisleless
nave leading by separate eastern arches to both chancel and north chapel.
C14 two-bay chancel arcade of double-chamfered arches dying into walls and
central octagonal column with moulded base and renewed moulded capital.
Broad chamfered chancel arch with cushioned chamfer-stops; probably C14,
with renewed head dying into wall. C13 arch with chamfered imposts
between nave and chapel. Low tower arch, also with chamfered imposts.
Roof: nave cornice C14 with roll-and-fillet moulding stopped at tie-beams
with horizontally-carved heads. Crown-post roof to chan cel later, with
central cambered hollow-chamfered tie-beam, chamfered collar purlin and
moulded octagonal crown-post. Short pendant posts support hollow-chamfered
arch braces with solid spandrels. Moulded cornice. Common-rafter roof to
chapel with sous-laced collars; ashlar-pieces and moulded cornice to
north side only. Moulded tie-beam with pendant posts and solid arch-braces.
Fittings: C15 piscina and sedile to south wall of chancel, the latter with
brattished cornice, moulded jambs and vestigial arms. Trefoil-headed
piscina to south wall of chapel. Stone slab with skull, cross-bones,
scythe and tools on north wall of nave. Pulpit of 1858 incorpating
finely-carved traceried heads of a Medieval screen. (J. Newman, Buildings
of England Series, WestKent and the Weald, 1980).
Listing NGR: TR0101131066
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings