History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burmarsh, Romney Marsh, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0492 / 51°2'57"N

Longitude: 0.9964 / 0°59'47"E

OS Eastings: 610118

OS Northings: 132035

OS Grid: TR101320

Mapcode National: GBR SZK.0RV

Mapcode Global: FRA D6ZB.VBQ

Plus Code: 9F322XXW+MH

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 9 June 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061163

English Heritage Legacy ID: 175505

Location: Burmarsh, Folkestone and Hythe, Kent, TN29

County: Kent

District: Shepway

Civil Parish: Burmarsh

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


4/47 Church of All Saints

Parish church. C12. C13 and C15, restored 1878. Stone, with plain tile
roof to chancel. Nave roof not visible. West tower, short nave, south
porch, small chancel. West tower: C15. 2 stages on low moulded plinth,
with battlements above moulded string. Integral north-west and south-
west angle buttresses. Trefoil-headed, hollow chamfered louvred light
to each side of belfry. Another, smaller, with square head, hollow spandrels
and hoodmould towards base of upper stage to west. West window of two trefoil-
headed lights with renewed mullion, no opening between lights and no voussoirs
or hoodmould. Corbel head at what would have been apex. Moulded 2-centred
arched west doorway with hoodmould. Nave: C12. South elevation: no visible
plinth. Battlemented without string. 2 buttresses. C15 window above porch of
2 cinquefoiled lights with cavetto mullion and square head, C19 two-light
window towards east, pointed, with two trefoil-headed lights,trefoil and
hoodmould. South porch: said to be dated 526. Stone, with cement-rendered
quoins. Round-arched outer architrave with decorative cast-iron gate. Inner
doorway C12, with fat roll, chevron, and outer billet moulding. Stone face
affixed towards apex. Square moulded abaci to single shaft either side with
scalloped cushion capitals and slightly moulded bases. Doorway infilled with
3-centred arched stone inner architrave. Chancel: C12. Galleted stone. No
plinth. Gabled. Traces of blocked south-west window with trefoiled head. C19
east window. Short narrow C12 north window with rounded head formed from
single stone. Nave: north elevation: moulded plinth continuous with that of
tower. Battlements above chamfered string. Central C19 north window.
Interior: Structure: aisle-less nave. No chancel arch. C13 pointed tower
arch with chamfered jambs and imposts. Roof: crown-post roof of 1878 to
chancel, unobtrusively stencilled. Shallow-pitched C19 king-post roof to
nave. Fittings: Royal Arms of George III to south wall of nave, unusually
signed, "J. Marten Tenterden Pinxt". Oval text board. Bell, probably late
C14, standing in north-east corner of nave, ascribed to John Danyell of
London (Anne Roper, The Church of All Saints,Burmarsh, 1980). Reredos
1897-1900, carved in Oberammergau. (J, Newman, Buildings of England Series,
West Kent and the Weald, 1980).

Listing NGR: TR0949831932

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.