This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.076 / 51°4'33"N
Longitude: 1.1475 / 1°8'51"E
OS Eastings: 620579
OS Northings: 135458
OS Grid: TR205354
Mapcode National: GBR V0P.GXZ
Mapcode Global: FRA F698.LX9
Entry Name: Enbrook House
Listing Date: 11 March 1975
Last Amended: 31 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061188
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175368
Location: Sandgate, Shepway, Kent, CT20
Civil Parish: Sandgate
Built-Up Area: Folkestone
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
In the entry for the following building:-
TR 2035 SE
Large house, later a Star and Garter Home and later a Police Training College. Surviving east wing and principal front of a house designed 1853-5 by S S Teulon for the Hon J D Bligh in Gothic style, one of Teulon's most important secular commissions. In 1920 the estate was sold for a Star and Garter Convalescent Home for wounded soldiers from the First World War and Sir Edwin Cooper built on a symmetrical building in Cape Colonial style, between 1924 and 1928, re-using some of the stone from Teulon's building. Teulon east front of squared and coursed ragstone with Caen freestone dressings. Tiled roof with alternate 3 bands of plain and 3 bands of fishscale tiles. One stone chimneystack, the remainder were added by Cooper.
Irregular: building varying between one and three storeys. To the south is the end external stack, capped by Cooper, and with the original shield replaced by a biblical text c1924. To the right is a huge main staircase oriel window with lancets and circular lights above. Cooper added a further casement window above in order to insert a lift shaft. The principal feature is the porte-cochere to the north. This has an arched doorcase with quatrefoils in the spandrels and oriel window to east. Cooper added a further storey and altered the windows to north and south. Further north is a section of three bays with mullioned and transomed windows, then a projecting section with gable, external chimneystack, 4-light mullioned and transomed window facing south and further window to east. The range terminates in a one storey section with 3-light mullioned window. West wall of north part retains original windows. Interior of Teulon wing retains a service staircase with chamfered newel posts but balusters missing. Some encaustic tiles remain near window of main staircase. Window seat to oriel over porte-cochere is probably by Cooper. The Cooper additions are built over the site of the rest of Teulon's building and comprise ranges around two courtyards. Rendered with hipped tiled roofs and brick chimneystacks. Sash windows throughout. Central part of south front of 2 storeys and attics; 7 windows. Hipped dormers to attics, sash windows to first floor and 5 round-headed arches with keystones to ground floor. Corner blocks are of 3 storeys; 3 windows. Projecting on each side to south are wings of 2 storeys and attics with sloping roofs to internal courtyard with 3 bay loggias with round-headed arches and impost blocks. West front is mainlyof 3 storeys. The centre has a brick-lined cornice and a stone loggia with 3 arches on the ground floor 'quarried' from the remains of the Teulon house. North section also has ground floor of reused stone. North wing of 2 storeys abuts on to Teulon range. Interior plain but retains central corridor with barrel-vaulted ceiling.
[See "The Builder" September 16th 1854; "The Builder" 13 January 1928; BOE North East and East Kent p444.]
Listing NGR: TR2057935458
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings