History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Coston, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.7906 / 52°47'26"N

Longitude: -0.7439 / 0°44'37"W

OS Eastings: 484803

OS Northings: 322186

OS Grid: SK848221

Mapcode National: GBR CQ6.4Q4

Mapcode Global: WHFK2.J3ZZ

Plus Code: 9C4XQ7R4+6C

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1061273

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189854

Location: Garthorpe, Melton, Leicestershire, LE14

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Garthorpe

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Coston St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


(north east side)
1/97 Church of
St. Andrew

Parish church. Cll, C13, C14, C15, mid C17. Restored and
chancel rebuilt in 1846 by Weightman and Hadfield. Coursed and
squared ironstone and limestone with limestone ashlar dressings
and gabled slate and lead roofs. Moulded coped parapets and east
gables with crosses. Small internal tower with spire, nave with
clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch.
West end has slightly projecting tower with chamfered and moulded
plinth and string courses. Single round headed Cll window. C14
bell stage has on each side a double lancet opening with hood
mould. Octagonal broach spire has a single tier of gabled
lucarnes, each with a single lancet. Above again, finial and
weathercock. Clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has moulded parapet and on
each side 3 ogee double lancets with segmental pointed heads and
hood moulds. Parapeted north aisle, 2 bays, has chamfered string
course. West end has chamfered single lancet. North side has 2
restored double lancets with foiled heads and hood moulds. East
end has re-set late C14 ogee double lancet with panel tracery,
coved reveal and hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, has to north,
blocked doorway with hood mould. East end has 2 corner
buttresses and Geometrical triple lancet with hood mould. South
side has to west, 4 centred arched door and to east, double
lancet with quatrefoil in head. Both openings have hood moulds.
South aisle C14, 3 bays, has moulded string course, vine-trail
frieze and moulded parapet with 2 gargoyles. At each end, a
buttress, 2 setoffs, with an ogee headed niche, each topped with
a superimposed ogee niche and a broached octagonal pinnacle.
East end has early C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery.
South side has to west, double lancet with arches upon arches
tracery, and to east a reticulated triple lancet. West end has
double lancet with vescia piscis head. All the windows have hood
moulds and mask stops. South porch, rebuilt mid C17, hascoped
gable and chamfered and rebated C13 doorway with imposts and hood
mould. Above, tablet inscribed 'JR WI GW 166-'. Interior has
stone benches, re-set stoup and C19 common rafter roof. C13 cove
moulded inner doorway has roll hood mould. Nave has at west end,
internal tower with double chamfered arch with faceted imposts,
flanked by single square piers with moulded imposts. Early C13
north arcade, 3 bays, has restored round piers with waterholding
bases and moulded abaci, double chamfered semi-circular arches
and hood mould. C14 south arcade, 3 bays, has restored octagonal
piers, responds and abaci, double chamfered pointed arches and
hood mould with mask stops. C19 low pitched single purlin roof
with C15 mask and angel corbels. North aisle west end has
stained glass window, c.1881, and north side has 2 C19 stained
glass windows. Restored C14 roof has wall plate with masks and
fleurons, arch braces with curved spandrels and angel and beast
corbels. South aisle has eaves band with vine trail. East end
has window with C14 stained glass panel. South side has to east,
cusped C14 piscina and restored graduated sedilia. Restored
lean-to roof. Chancel has double chamfered arch with hood mould
and stops. North side has to east, cusped aumbry. East end has
C19 stained glass window. South side has C13 style piscina and
double sedilia with hood moulds. Stained glass window, 1865.
Panelled wooden vaulted roof. Fittings include C13 style arcaded
altar and triptych reredos with figure carving, 1885. C19 plain
benches, traceried oak pulpit, traceried stalls, and 3 benches
with shaped ends. Brass eagle lectern, 1902. Wooden lectern and
square poor box on bracket, late C19. C15 font with traceried
panelled octagonal bowl and tapered stem. Royal Arms (George
III) on board. Memorials include re-set incised slate slab with
crest, 1814, 3 C19 brasses, single C20 brass and roll of honour,

Listing NGR: SK8480322186

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.