This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4167 / 51°25'0"N
Longitude: -0.7056 / 0°42'20"W
OS Eastings: 490108
OS Northings: 169425
OS Grid: SU901694
Mapcode National: GBR D7X.2FV
Mapcode Global: VHDX4.QNBB
Entry Name: Priory of the Most Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 20 December 1972
Last Amended: 14 February 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489486
Location: Winkfield, Bracknell Forest, SL5
County: Bracknell Forest
Civil Parish: Winkfield
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Ascot Heath
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU96NW PRIORY ROAD, Chavey Down
674-1/16/273 (East side)
20/12/72 Priory of the Most Holy Trinity
Formerly known as: Priory of the Most Holy Trinity (also known
as Ascot Priory).
Priory and convalescent hospital, now Priory and private
nursing home. Large group of C19 buildings by 5 architects.
MATERIALS: stone with plain tiled roofs.
Front, entrance part was begun in 1861 by Charles Buckeridge
and later continued by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Early English
transitional style. Snecked, random rubble with ashlar
dressings. Single storey with coped gable on left end. 5
chimney shafts on rectangular stack at right end. 9-bays of
pointed windows with plate tracery. Single gabled dormer
breaking eaves at left and 2 similar at right. Rectangular
chimney stack with turret, projecting between 6th and 8th
bays. Single storey porch at left and single storey 3-bay
addition with 2 gables to left of this.
South wing and tower in angle, 1901 by Leonard Stokes. Coursed
rubble with ashlar dressings. 2 storeys with attics and
basement. Steeply pitched roof with hip on right end. 3 pairs
of stone chimneys, one at either side of ridge, with angle
pilasters and cornice heads. West front irregular with 2
broad, flat buttresses on right. Leaded casement windows of
2:3:5 and 6-lights. 2-bays on right project, and roof is
carried down with wide dormer at first floor level. 4 hipped
gabled dormers, one double. On eastern front of this wing
stonework banded with ashlar to blend with that of chapel.
Clock tower in re-entrant angle has open lantern with sloping
sides, surmounted by weathervane.
Chapel 1877, is by William Butterfield, and stretches
eastwards. Snecked random rubble with ashlar dressings, coped,
gabled roof. Nave, north and south aisles, transepts and
chancel. Plinth, string at base and head of buttresses, round
headed windows to nave and chancel, circular windows with
quatrefoils, light clerestorey.
INTERIOR: red and white stone. 2-bay nave and 4-bay chancel of
same height, chancel without aisles and in the Early English
style as are transepts. Nave in Norman style. Stained glass:
side windows by Gibbs, the east windows by Comper.
iv) The Lady Chapel 1935, by Mitchel and Bridgewater, adjoins
chapel on eastern end with 2 storey link, and 5-light oriel
window at first floor with trefoiled heads. Ashlar with gabled
roof. 5-bays of pointed windows at upper level and square
ground floor windows. Buttress between 1st and 2nd and the 4th
and 5th bays. Interior plain.
HISTORY: The Priory is of the Society of the Holy Trinity,
founded by Priscilla Lydia Sellon, a friend of Pusey's. The
Society started at Devonport in 1848 and built St Dunstan's
Abbey, Plymouth, in 1850.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire:
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings