This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4249 / 51°25'29"N
Longitude: -0.2139 / 0°12'50"W
OS Eastings: 524276
OS Northings: 171053
OS Grid: TQ242710
Mapcode National: GBR BL.YJN
Mapcode Global: VHGRB.7GR1
Plus Code: 9C3XCQFP+WC
Entry Name: Ice House at
Listing Date: 8 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061359
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489586
Location: Village, Merton, London, SW19
Electoral Ward/Division: Village
Built-Up Area: Merton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Wimbledon
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
1329/0/10048 BELVEDERE DRIVE
Ice House at
Ice house. Built probably after 1748 but before 1834. Cup and dome type. Comprises large dome built of red brick, externally covered in render with a cambered stock brick entrance, early C19 or later, with bricks on end forming castellation. The interior has a ventilation hole at the summit. Base of ice chamber not visible at time of survey. The north east side of the dome has been replaced in the early C20 by a vertical wall. The original entrance passage was demolished.
HISTORY: This ice house was built for Belvedere House. The original house was a Palladian style house of c1720 for Sir Theodore Janssen. The estate was bought by a Mrs Martha Rush in 1748, followed by her son and passed to Sir William Beaumaris Rush in 1783 who demolished the c1720 house and replaced it. In 1834 the property was sold to James Courthope Peach. A mound at the foot of a lake is shown in this position in the 1870s Ordnance Survey map. As there are no signs of an ice house on Rocque's map of 1746 the structure would appear to date from the period between 1748 and 1834, probably after 1783 as Sir William Rush enlarged both house and grounds. After 1900, when Belvedere House was demolished and the grounds sold for building, the majority of the structure was situated in the grounds of no 1 Belvedere Drive and a small part in the grounds of no 3. At some time in the early C20 that part belonging to no 3 was demolished and a vertical wall replaced the curved wall of the dome to the north east.
Other nearby listed buildings