This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5565 / 52°33'23"N
Longitude: -1.055 / 1°3'18"W
OS Eastings: 464162
OS Northings: 295822
OS Grid: SP641958
Mapcode National: GBR 9PV.Q2X
Mapcode Global: VHCT2.N0LJ
Entry Name: Wistow Hall, Including Flats, And, in Wing, Brown's Flat, Dairy Cottage, Laundry Cottage, Brew House, Forge Cottage
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061546
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191140
Location: Wistow, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8
Civil Parish: Wistow
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Wistow St Wistan
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
Wistow Hall,including flats,
SP 69 NW
19.10.51 and, in wing, Brown's Flat,
Dairy Cottage, Laundry Cottage,
Brew House, Forge Cottage.
Country house, now 11 dwellings. Early C17, with later C18 alterations,
remodelled c1815. Colourwashed rendered brick and Swithland slate hipped roof
with colourwashed rendered ridge and truncated side stacks. Plinth and
parapet. H plan. Entrance front of 2.1/2 storeys of 7 6/6 sash windows, 3
in recessed centre. 5 3/3 sash dormers. On ground floor 2 6/6 sashes on each
wing and 1 storey addition filling central section. Flat roof with low
parapet. A 9/9 sash either side a French window/door with top lights. On the
corners of each wing an octagonal turret buttress with stepped plinth and
octagonal low conical roof. On left end the garden front with further 6/6 and
2/2 sashes. On left a ground floor bow window with 3 2/2 sashes and on right
a 2 storey bow window with 3 2/2 sashes both floors. On right end a 1.1/2
storey wing with mainly C20 2-light wooden mullion and transom windows.
Cambered brick lintels with keystones. Band and moulded brick eaves.
Formerly outbuildings, this wing was converted to dwellings mid C20. Inside
main range, in the Entrance Hall, a coved ceiling with later C18 stucco work.
Above this is said to be the C17 roof. Staircase with later C18 wrought-iron
balustrade. C17 panelling, some probably reset. Stone doorway with Tudor
arch. Wistow was bought in 1603 by the Halford family and the basic house is
probably of this period. Alterations, including the formation of the
Staircase Hall, were made in the later C18. The remodelling c1815 included
the formation of the corner turret buttresses and the entrance vestibule.
Charles I stayed at Wistow before the Battle of Naseby and he and Prince
Rupert left their saddles here when changing horses on their flight after the
battle. They are preserved in the house.
Listing NGR: SP6416295822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings