This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2161 / 53°12'57"N
Longitude: -0.5209 / 0°31'15"W
OS Eastings: 498865
OS Northings: 369802
OS Grid: SK988698
Mapcode National: GBR FMY.75F
Mapcode Global: WHGJ5.ZF4B
Entry Name: Canwick Hall
Listing Date: 23 August 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061756
English Heritage Legacy ID: 192793
Location: Canwick, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, LN4
District: North Kesteven
Civil Parish: Canwick
Built-Up Area: Canwick
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Canwick All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
CANWICK HALL DRIVE
SK 9870-9970 (south side)
Country house, now flats. C18 largely re-modelled and extended 1810 for
Colonel Waldo Sibthorpe, who was his own architect. Converted 1945. Lime-
stone ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate hipped roofs with various ashlar
stacks. Moulded cornice and low parapet, ground and first floor cill bands,
all ground floor windows have moulded surrounds, all windows having glazing
bar sashes. North front, 3 storey over a basement. 7 bays. Slightly
projecting narrow 3 bay centre has terra style portico with Doric columns,
and segment headed doorway with double panel doors with narrow side lights
and fanlight. Above a central 2 storey shallow arch with keystone containing
a sash with moulded surround and entablature, above a Diocletian window.
Either side a single narrow sash, with single smaller sashes above. Flanked
by 2 sashes, with above 2 further sashes and above again 2 smaller sashes.
Set back to the west, the 2 storey 4 bay former picture gallery wing, the
centre has a pair of slightly projecting sashes with Doric pilaster surrounds
topped by an entablature, either side are single sashes. Above 4 smaller
sashes. To the east a slightly recessed 3 storey wing, with to the right a
flight of steps leading to a pair of panel doors, and to the left 2 sashes.
Above a pair of sashes flanked by single sashes, and above again a smaller
pair of sashes flanked by single sashes flanked by single sashes. Beyond to
the left a lower 2 storey service wing with 2 sashes on the upper floor.
South garden front, 3 storey with 5 bay centre, with to the left a projecting
square bay window with 3 sashes, articulated with Doric pilasters and
entablature. To the right 2 sashes, and above 5 sashes with above again
5 smaller sashes. Beyond to the right a projecting 3 storey 2 bay wing,
ground floor obscured by unusual classical niche set at right angles. Above
2 pairs of sashes and above again 2 smaller sashes. Beyond a 2 storey
service wing with irregular fenestration. To the left a slightly recessed
single bay with ground floor doorway with panel door and overlight, above a
single sash, and above again a smaller sash. Beyond the 2 storey picture
gallery wing has a single recessed bay with a sash to each floor and beyond a
projecting wing with 3 sashes to each floor. West front of picture gallery
wing, 2 storeys, 3 bay, with a central single sash to each floor flanked by
2 storey bow windows each with 3 sashes, that to the right has glazed double
doors on the ground floor. INTERIOR has square stone cantilever staircase
with ornate iron balusters and mahogony handrail, upper floors have marbled
columns supporting oval glazed lantern.
Listing NGR: SK9886569802
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings