This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9808 / 52°58'50"N
Longitude: 0.0108 / 0°0'38"E
OS Eastings: 535096
OS Northings: 344496
OS Grid: TF350444
Mapcode National: GBR JWJ.3K4
Mapcode Global: WHHLR.4BDP
Entry Name: Rochford Tower
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1062088
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191948
Location: Fishtoft, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE21
Civil Parish: Fishtoft
Built-Up Area: Boston
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Fishtoft St Guthlac
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 34 SE FISHTOFT ROCHFORD TOWER LANE
12/32 Rochford Tower
Tower. c.1460 with minor C17 alterations and C19 partial
restoration. Red brick in English bond with ashlar dressings.
Roof now vanished. The tower was attached to a contemporary hall
block, demolished 1807. 3 storey with ground floor undercroft,
vaulted in brick. Single bay. Roll moulding to base with added
plinth. Embattled parapet with shaped brick coping, trefoil
headed dummy machicolations. Corbelled out octagonal corner
turrets with roll moulding to base and small battlements. On the
west front a small opening light to undercroft. To main first
floor a large segmental headed window opening with moulded ashlar
surround and chamfered cill, now containing C17 wooden cross
mullioned 3 light window. To second and third floors are single
blank openings with chamfered brick reveals and 4 centred arched
heads. On the south side a single opening with brick arched head
to second floor. On the right hand side an octagonal stair
turret with narrow vertical lights and battlemented parapet. To
the top stage a corbelled out brick chimney with roll mouldings,
chamfers and dentils to the corbel. On the east side a double
chamfered shallow 4 centred doorway to undercroft and a small
pointed headed light. To first floor a large window as the west
side. On the north side a 4 centred arched doorway to undercroft
and above a blocked doorway to vanished hall block. The toothing
in scars of the adjoining walls of this 2 storey block can be
seen. To second floor a small 4 centred brick arched opening.
Interior. Brick vaulted undercroft contains 3 pointed headed
niches. Stone newel stair in turret. Wall painting on first
floor now vanished, on plaster; 4 centred brick arched
fireplaces. Straight doorway through to now vanished connecting
building. Series of blocked holes in interior at high level,
perhaps indicating previous use as dovecote. On the north side a
C18 lead pipe and spout with iron handle and timber support. A
topographical print, dated 1811, published by W. Clarke, from a
drawing by W. Brand, shows the attached hall block running north,
with crow stepped gables and 3 light 4 centred arched window.
The property was granted to the Abbot and Church of Westminster
by Henry VII in 1504, and held by the Rochford family. Source:
Thompson, History of Boston. Other similar towers exist at Tower
on the Moor, Woodhall Spa, Hussey Tower, Boston. Source: Lincs.
History and Archaeology Vol, 14, 1979.
Listing NGR: TF3507944510
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings