This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9997 / 52°59'58"N
Longitude: -0.4088 / 0°24'31"W
OS Eastings: 506883
OS Northings: 345894
OS Grid: TF068458
Mapcode National: GBR FQL.ZDJ
Mapcode Global: WHGK6.PVJQ
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Denys
Listing Date: 16 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1062157
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191812
Location: Sleaford, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34
District: North Kesteven
Civil Parish: Sleaford
Built-Up Area: Sleaford
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Sleaford St Denys
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
MARKET PLACE (East side)
Parish Church of St Denys
Tower circa 1180, spire circa 1220, forms one of the earliest examples of stone broach, but rebuilt when struck by lightning,1884. C14 Decorated nave and aisles extending Westwards and large North Transept added. Clerestory added circa 1430 and chancel remodelled. Outer North aisle added 1853 by Kirk and Parry and old windows re-used. Particularly good mid C14 tracery and ornament. Series of carved corbels and heads in nave included Turkish man and woman. Medieval Rood screen, retaining the original platform and pulpitum, with balustrade and Rood restored by Sir Ninian Comper, 1918. Communion rail, said to be by Wren, from Lincoln Cathedral. Decorated font, much repaired. North aisle has piece of C17 Sheldon tapestry. C17 dole cupboard. Desk with 15 chained books.
Peal of eight bells, cast 1796. Carre monuments. A C15 window, removed from West front in 1884 restoration, has been reconstructed and stands at East end of Churchyard.
Parish Church of St Denys, Vicarage, Lock-up, War Memorial and Nos 7 -12 (consec)
all form a group.
Listing NGR: TF0687645892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings