This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6535 / 52°39'12"N
Longitude: -0.4794 / 0°28'45"W
OS Eastings: 502957
OS Northings: 307286
OS Grid: TF029072
Mapcode National: GBR FVR.RKS
Mapcode Global: WHGLX.LKXL
Plus Code: 9C4XMG3C+C6
Entry Name: Number 4 (Brownes Hospital) Chapel and Hall. All Other Buildings at Browne's Hospital
Listing Date: 22 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1062247
English Heritage Legacy ID: 193495
Location: Stamford, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE9
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Stamford
Built-Up Area: Stamford
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Stamford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
1671 BROAD STREET
22.5.54. Chapel and Hall.
- All the other buildings
at Brown's Hospital.
TF 0207 1/54
Almshouses of circa 1480, partly rebuilt 1870 by J Fowler. Elevation to street
is of C15 chapel, with stone-stepped entrance to porch at west end and hall on
lst floor. 2 storeys, coursed rubble with stone dressings. 4 bays divided by
small buttresses. Each bay has a ground floor window of one light, and lst floor
window of 2 lights, in a 4-centred arch with mullions, transoms and cusping. Moulded
labels to all windows. The 2 most easterly windows are of 3 and 4 lights, with
a 2nd transom and segmental arches. The most easterly contains good contemporary
glass. A modern extension beyond the east end. The interior has completely rebuilt
almshouses facing into a small court, all of late C19 1870 date, and in the 'Gothic'
No 1, Railings and terrce to No 1, No 2, Wall and gate to No 2, Nos 3, 4,
Warden's House to No 4 and Nos 5 +to 11 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: TF0295707286
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings