This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.683 / 52°40'58"N
Longitude: -0.3913 / 0°23'28"W
OS Eastings: 508842
OS Northings: 310689
OS Grid: TF088106
Mapcode National: GBR GWT.XHJ
Mapcode Global: WHGLR.YTTJ
Entry Name: The Old Hall
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1062697
English Heritage Legacy ID: 194390
Location: Barholm and Stowe, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE9
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Barholm and Stowe
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Barholme St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/11/2017
TF 01 SE
BARHOLM AND STOWE
HORSE SHOE LANE
The Old Hall
(Formerly listed as Barholm Old Hall, HALL LANE (south side))
Small country house. C15, altered and extended early C17, further altered in C19. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Collyweston slate roofs having single projecting wall and gable stacks, each with paired ashlar shafts and moulded cornices. L-plan.
Originally an open C15 hall, floored in and extended in C17 by addition of a parlour block to right. Two storey, three bay front, with to right a gabled blank bay. Off-centre planked round headed door with wave moulded head having to left single three light and to right a single light window. To first floor is a window of four lights with broader king mullion and a further single light window. All windows are ovolo mullioned with moulded stone surrounds. On the rear wall is a blocked four centred arched doorway and beside it a gabled two storey projection with C17 oak roof finial, probably originally an added stair block.
Interior retains fine c.1600 four centred arched fireplace in former hall. There is a similar fireplace in the dining room. Building works revealed soot blackened roof timbers and evidence of a louvre in the hall. In the left gable wall of the hall is a pointed doorway, visible from the inside only, possibly a former service door to the screens passage.
Listing NGR: TF0884210689
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings