This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0462 / 53°2'46"N
Longitude: -0.691 / 0°41'27"W
OS Eastings: 487852
OS Northings: 350687
OS Grid: SK878506
Mapcode National: GBR DNJ.04H
Mapcode Global: WHGJW.CP6K
Plus Code: 9C5X28W5+FJ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 20 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1062914
English Heritage Legacy ID: 193908
ID on this website: 101062914
Location: All Saints' Church, Fenton, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG23
District: South Kesteven
Civil Parish: Fenton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Claypole North and South St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
Tagged with: Church building
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22 March 2023 to correct description and to reformat the text to current standards
SK 85 SE
MAIN STREET (west side)
Church of All Saints
Parish church, C12, C13, C14, C15, 1838, restored 1875 and 1888. Coursed ironstone rubble, Ancaster stone ashlar, blue lias, red brick, some rendering, lead and slate roofs. West tower with spire, nave with north and south aisles, south porch and rectangular chancel.
C15 ashlar west tower of three stages with clasping buttresses. Pronounced plinth mouldings on all three sides. First stage, west front, has C15 windows of two cusped and pointed lights with quatrefoil andmullions above, hood mould and large ornate head label stops. Second stage, west, north and south sides have single small rectangular windows containing single quatrefoils. Both stages, north side have small lights illuminating stairs. Second stage, east side has steep pitch of nave's original roof line visible. C15 bell openings on all four sides with two cusped, pointed lights with quatrefoil and mullions above. Frieze of quatrefoils set in diamonds, battlements, projecting gargoyles and ornate corner pinnacles. C15 octagonal spire with two tiers of ornate lucarnes in alternating directions, crockets, and finial.
Ironstone north aisle with Ancaster stone dressings. C14 window in west front with two cusped lights, reticulated tracery, hood mould and grotesque head label stops. Four C19 buttresses of two stages with curved setoffs and gable tops. C12 round headed, single chamfered blocked doorway with hood mould. C15 window to east with two cusped round headed lights surmounted by four small pointed and cusped lights beneath a three-centred hood mould with grotesque head label stops. To east a C15 two-light window with pointed and cusped tracery, restored in C19.
Chancel of 1838, of rendered brick with Ancaster stone quoins and dressings. North side has single round headed light. East end has large rectangular window of three-cusped lights. South side has two single round headed lights. South aisle, east front of Ancaster stone with C15 window of two pointed and cusped lights surmounted by three mullions and further cusping, hood mould and head label stops. Buttress to the south of two stages with projecting gargoyle above. South aisle, south front of ironstone with ashlar dressings. Moulded plinth and eaves. C15 window of two round headed cusped lights surmounted by four small pointed and cusped lights beneath a three-centred hood mould with grotesque head label stops. C15 porch, east side of ironstone with Ancaster stone dressings, the west side, of C20 blue lias, both with single deeply splayed openings. Two centred doorway with hood mould and grotesque head label stops. Interior stone benches and west doorway with plain two centred arch. C15 window to west of porch of two round headed cusped lights surmounted by four small pointed and cusped lights beneath a three-centred hood mould with grotesque head label stops. South facing, two stage angle buttress. West front of south aisle has pointed C15 window of two cusped lights with quatrefoil and mullions above. Interior C15 tower arch with semi-circular responds, five sided capitals and abaci and simply moulded pointed arch. North arcade of four bays. To the west, two mid C12 bays with plain chamfered round headed arches, supported by single round pier and two semi-circular responds, all with scalloped and beaded capitals. To the east, two early C13 bays, one west and one east of screen, with five sided responds and simply moulded round arches. Three bay south arcade of late C13 with one octagonal pier. Four five-sided responds with simply moulded pointed arches. To north east, a chapel with aumbry and corbel in north wall. Small aumbry in north wall of chancel and small, mid C12 pier with scalloped capital fixed to south wall. C15 screen of four wooden panels, each divided by a mullion, with perpendicular tracery with rosettes, and the lower panels with blind tracery and rosettes.
C15 pulpit of four panels with reticulated tracery with rosettes and chamfered rail. Altar rail of c.1730. C19 pews with some C15 bench ends. Table font with fragments of C13 capitals and bases used in more recent reconstruction. Plaque of 1888 recording Richard Lucas' bequest of £250 for church repairs. C19 and C20 timber roofs throughout, re-using some older timbers.
Listing NGR: SK8785250687
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings