This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2105 / 53°12'37"N
Longitude: -0.0794 / 0°4'45"W
OS Eastings: 528357
OS Northings: 369883
OS Grid: TF283698
Mapcode National: GBR JSH.QQR
Mapcode Global: WHHKJ.RKCL
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 14 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1062998
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195664
Location: High Toynton, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: High Toynton
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Horncastle Group
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 26 NE HIGH TOYNTON GRAVEL PIT LANE
4/7 Church of St.John
14.9.66 the Baptist
Parish church. 1872 by Ewan Christian, re-using some mid C12
fragments. Green sandstone rubble blocks, limestone ashlar
dressings. Slate roofs with decorative red ridge tiles and stone
coped gables with cross finials. Nave with south-west porch
tower, chancel with vestry. Plinth runs round entire church.
West window with plate lancets with cusped oculus and hood mould.
North side of nave with 2 single lancets to right, and single
window to left with 2 plate lancets and quatrefoil. West side of
vestry with doorway with Caernarvon head and plank door. Single
lancet in north side of vestry. East end of chancel with 3
lancets, the central lancet being taller, continuous hood mould
and label stops. South side of chancel with single lancet.
South side of nave with single plate window to right with 2
lancets and quatrefoil. Single lancet to left. South-west tower
beyond with single lancets in east and west sides. South side
with pointed doorway with continuous chamfered surround, hood
mould, label stops and plank door. Single slit light above.
Octagonal upper storey with broaches, 8 small lancets, pyramidal
roof with finial and weathervane. Porch interior with C19 south
doorway with pointed moulded head; angled, chamfered jambs with
triangular stops and plank door. A segmental arch of C12 chevron
re-set above. A similar smaller section of chevron set above
outer doorway in porch interior. Fragments of a C19 cross head
and C14 gabled buttress set-off on window ledges. Interior with
C19 pointed, double chamfered chancel arch with corbelled inner
order with turned capitals and abaci. Pointed north vestry door
with continuous chamfered surround and plank door. Early C18
altar-chest with fielded panelled sides. C19 altar rail,
lectern, pulpit and ornate stone reredos with Caernarvon headed
panels containing the Lord's Prayer and the Ten Commandments, a
roundel with the Lamb of God, and small square plaques with
various motifs. C20 font and pews. 4 stone monuments with urns
and aprons of various designs, to Thomas Ball, died 1805; Thomas
Ball, died 1819: Thomas Ball, died 1835 and John Ball, died
1845. C16 German roundel of stained glass incorporated into C19
stained glass in north window of nave.
Listing NGR: TF2835769883
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings