This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4026 / 53°24'9"N
Longitude: 0.1941 / 0°11'38"E
OS Eastings: 545963
OS Northings: 391778
OS Grid: TF459917
Mapcode National: GBR YYS2.TZ
Mapcode Global: WHJKT.YQLT
Plus Code: 9F52C53V+3J
Entry Name: Church of St Clement
Listing Date: 9 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063058
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195495
Location: Saltfleetby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
Civil Parish: Saltfleetby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Saltfleetby St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SALTFLEETBY ST.CLEMENTS MANBY ROAD
TF 49 SW
6/53 Church of
Parish church, now redundant and in process of conversion to
tearoom and craft centre. 1885-6 by W. Mortimer re-using early
C13 and mid C14 fragments; C20. Limestone and greenstone
rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate roofs with decorative red ridge
tiles and cross finial. West tower, nave with north aisle and
south porch, chancel with north vestry. West tower with plinth
and 2 stage angle buttresses. C13 west doorway with steeply
pointed head, rollmoulded surround in one, imposts and plank
door. Lancet and moulded string course above. Single lancets on
north and south sides above string course. Bell openings on all
4 sides, each a pair of lancets. Moulded eaves and battlements
above. North aisle with 3 pairs of lancets and steps leading to
doorway with C20 overlight and paired panelled doors. Vestry
with north lancet and east doorway replaced in C20 with C20
square window to right. North side of chancel with single
lancet. East end of chancel with 3 lancets, round relieving arch
and cinquefoil above. South side of chancel with 2 lancets.
South side of nave with rectangular C14 window to east, with
richly moulded, cusped ogee head and hood mould, missing central
mullion and filled with C20 glass. Large lancet to east with
gabled porch beyond with pointed C14 doorway with moulded
surround in one; and inner C13 doorway with pointed roll moulded
head and slender roll moulded jambs, hood mould and plank doors.
Lancet to west of porch. Interior C19 tower arch with pointed,
double chamfered head with foliate corbels. C13 north arcade of
5 bays with round piers, simply moulded capitals, double
chamfered, pointed arches and east and west responds with head
corbels. C19 pointed chancel arch with double chamfered head and
foliate corbels. Pointed C13 doorway leading from north aisle to
vestry, with double chamfered head and jambs in one. Bowl of C13
octagonal font, pedestal and base recently destroyed. C19 roofs.
Medieval architectural fragments from earlier church of St.
Clement situated several hundred yards from present site.
Listing NGR: TF4596391778
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings