This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4018 / 53°24'6"N
Longitude: 0.054 / 0°3'14"E
OS Eastings: 536654
OS Northings: 391404
OS Grid: TF366914
Mapcode National: GBR XYT3.H8
Mapcode Global: WHHJM.SRXH
Entry Name: Watermill
Listing Date: 9 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063077
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195447
Location: Alvingham, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Alvingham
Built-Up Area: Alvingham
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Alvingham St Adelwold
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
ALVINGHAM ABBEY LANE
TF 39 SE
Watermill. C17, 1782 by John Maddison, c.1900, restored 1972.
Red brick, mostly colourwashed. Pantile roof with stone coped
gables. 3 storeys including upper storey added in 1872. 4 bay
front including wheelhouse to left, added in 1782, plus lean-to
of c.1900 added to left hand return wall. Doorway to right with
segmental head and plank door. Glazing bar window to left with
segmental head. Clear break in bonding of brickwork to left with
segmental headed opening beyond, with footbridge over it and
second segmental headed opening behind allowing access of water
to wheelhouse. Lean-to of c.1900 beyond with plank door.
Doorway above to right with segmental head, plank door and
platform in front of it. 2 small glazing bar windows to left,
both with segmental heads. Wheel of belt pulley to left,
inserted c.1900 to power pea-sorting machine intact inside lean-
to to left. 3 small sliding sashes above, all with segmental
heads, pulley immediately above window to right. Shuttered
opening in lean-to to left. Interior with breast shot
waterwheel of 1782, 11 feet in diameter, large axle spokes and
cheek plates of cast iron with dovetailed joints; 32 buckets of
wrought iron and elm board. 2 slide valves at axle height in
good working order. Cast iron pit wheel and wallower. Auxiliary
drive from pit wheel to drive internal and external belt pulleys.
First floor with 2 pairs of Peak stones in use, one pair with
feed hopper and casing of c.1972. Pair of French burr stones not
in use. Stones driven by vertical shaft via wooden toothed gear
wheel. Vertical shaft continues to top floor to drive sask
hoist with wooden faced clutch wheel. All the machinery of 1782,
restored in c.1972, and is now in good working order and
regularly used. Watermill known to have been on site since 1155.
Water channelled from River Lud and culverted under Louth Canal in
Listing NGR: TF3665491404
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings