This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4765 / 53°28'35"N
Longitude: -0.0756 / 0°4'31"W
OS Eastings: 527817
OS Northings: 399480
OS Grid: TF278994
Mapcode National: GBR WXX7.FH
Mapcode Global: WHHJ5.TW66
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 9 September 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063111
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195314
Location: Grainsby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN36
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Grainsby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Grainsby St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 29 NE GRAINSBY CHURCH LANE
4/7 Church of
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C16, 1834 restoration. Squared and
coursed chalk and limestone rubble, red brick, ashlar and red
brick surrounds, slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel,
south porch. The 3 stage chalk tower has stepped clasping
buttresses, and battlemented parapet with gargoyles. On the
south side is a vesica shaped opening with mullion. To the
belfry stage are paired C13 lancet lights. The west wall has a
single lancet to the ground stage. The north nave wall has been
refaced on earlier foundations in brick of English bond in 1834.
There is a single C19 timber 2 light window with leaded panes.
The chancel is in squared ironstone rubble and has a 3 light C19
east window. To the north of the window is a reset section of
C12 chevron moulding. This like many other stones in the chancel
is reddened presumably by fire. In the south wall of the chancel
is a 2 light C19 window with chamfered square surround, a reset
semi-circular window head and a fragment of C12 diamond moulding.
In the south wall of the nave are 2 1834 windows matching those
of the north, in brick surrounds. Further west a section of C12
ashlar walling is in build with the south door and a steep coped
pitch in the east wall of the tower preserves an earlier roof
line. The C15 porch has moulded plinth with lowered gable, the
outer arch is continuously moulded and outer chamfered. Inside
is an early C12 doorway having one plain square order with
chamfered hood, plain imposts and rudimentary cushion capitals to
missing nook shafts. Interior. Chancel and nave are
structurally undivided. The C14 tower arch is double chamfered
dying into its reveals. The chancel screen has cusped heads to
the lights and incorporates C16 work. The roof is C19. Fittings
are C19 including panelled family pew and hatchment to the
Haighs. 2 wooden commandment boards and mid C19 stove. The font
is C12, a simple tapering tub, on a splayed base.
Listing NGR: TF2781799478
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings