This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3275 / 53°19'39"N
Longitude: -0.5781 / 0°34'41"W
OS Eastings: 494794
OS Northings: 382121
OS Grid: SK947821
Mapcode National: GBR SYDY.MW
Mapcode Global: WHGHL.2MZD
Entry Name: Church of St and Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 30 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063342
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196706
Location: Cammeringham, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN1
District: West Lindsey
Civil Parish: Cammeringham
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: The Spring Line Group
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK 98 SW CAMMERINGHAM MAIN STREET
6/15 Church of
St. Michael and
30.11.66 All Angels
Parish church. c1175, C14, C15, C16, late C18. Coursed
ironstone and limestone rubble, ironstone and limestone ashlar,
some red brick, pantile roofs with stone coped east gable. West
bell turret, nave and rectangular chancel. West front with rough
quoins and large round headed doorway with quoined jambs, large
fanlight with leaded lights and plank door with ornate hinges.
Shaped gable above surmounted by gabled bell turret with round
headed bell opening. C18 north wall of nave plain except for
outline of one and a half large round headed C12 arcade bays, and
red brick eaves. Lower chancel with outline of blocked C14 bay
and red brick eaves. Gabled east front with quoins and
rectangular C16 window with central broad light with ornate
curved, cusped head, flanked by single narrow lights with cusped
and pointed heads, ornate mouchettes and chamfered mullions.
South side of chancel has quoins and large late C15 rectangular
window to west with 3 pointed lights. Dentillated eaves run
full length of chancel and nave. To east, a plain, tall 3 light
rectangular window with chamfered mullions. Tall 2 light
rectangular window to west, each light with cusped ogee head
divided by mouchette. Interior north wall cut away to reveal
part ofCl2 arcade. Round pier with crocket capital with some
paint intact and scored abacus. Half a chamfered round arch to
west and full chamfered round arch to east. Plain hood mould.
North chancel wall cut away to reveal part of C14 archway to lost
north chapel, with polygonal responds, heavily moulded capitals
and inner chamfered order partially visible and full pointed,
chamfered outer order. Large grey and white marble wall
monument with large diamond shaped white marble plaque with grey
outer band, inscribed in memory of Mrs. Jane Tyrwhytt, 1603-56
and long account of births and deaths of various relatives.
Above a luxuriant, beribboned wreath in white marble around
lady's bust with flowing hair, veil and lace collar. Flanking
shields and plaque and shield below. Rectangular cupboard with
hinges below. White and grey monument to west, to Samuel
Turner, died 1817. Large Cll slab with interlace decoration.
Small, round, white, grey streaked marble bowl font inscribed "E
Donis F. Howfoni Vic/i A:D: 1755." and set on tall, painted
octagonal C19 base. C20 panelled wainscotting in nave, C20 pews,
pulpit, altar rail and lecturn.
Listing NGR: SK9479482121
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings